Cooking books or DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonaskitchen

Senior Cook
I like books a lot, and generally prefer buying cooking books instead of dvd.
But, some days ago I went to a bookshop and found that they're selling cookind dvd instead paperbooks.
I'm wondering: How can you use a dvd for cooking, if you have no tv in your kitchen???

What do you generally use? Web sites, books, dvd?
...also martha stewart prefers selling dvd instead books...

Have a nice day,
Simona!

I prefer cookbooks and the occasional recipe snagged and printed off the internet. I can't see myself cooking with a DVD. I'm not going to be as fast as the person on the screen and pausing every two minutes (and washing my hands 60000x so I can hit pause) really would not be enjoyable. A DVD would take away from the experience for me. If I want media, I'll watch Food Network when I'm not cooking.

I think the DVD's can be good for watching demonstrations of "how to" in some instances - especially where "a picture is worth a thousand words" to show someone how to do something ... but beyond demonstrations of skills and techniques, I prefer a book.

There's no capability in my kitchen to play DVDs so, based on that, they're not an option for me. However, I much prefer the hands-on convenience that cookbooks afford. I like to read and re-read ingredients and instructions, which translate to a lot of on/off and flipping of a DVD player if I use a DVD.

As someone else already mentioned, I would rather view cooking on television via the food channel, etc. when I'm not cooking.

The DVDs are good for instruction and getting ideas, the same as watching TV for me. But for recipes I have cookbooks, scraps of paper, printed recipes, and a database that helps me plan and shop for meals.
I can't imagine having the laptop in the kitchen around all those ingredients and constantly washing or wiping off my hands to play it back or pause it either.

Back
Top Bottom