"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking for dummies

Hi Everyone,

I am both new to this forum and new to cooking but a have a real keen passion to get in there and learn as much as possible.

I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth. Appologies if I am not making sense. It's hard to express exactly what I am looking for.

Hope someone can help. Cheers

Old 05-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I'm surprised no one has answered you yet....welcome to the forum!

I'm not an expert, but I have heard the following books recommended:

La Technique - Jacques Pepin
Essentials of Cooking - James Peterson
The Best Recipe - Cook's Illustrated

I personally like anything published by Cook's Illustrated. They test recipes, say for fried chicken, and come up with the best recipe. yes, it is their version of best, but so far, I have always liked the end result. What I like about them, is they tell you why something worked, and why something didn't work prior to giving you the recipe. They also have a website and a magazine that give cooking pointers.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ
Cook's Illustrated
My brother gave me a years subscription to bon apetit and I got my MIL a years subscription to Rachel Ray. As much as they are good and enjoyable, after a year I personally wouldn't want to re-order.

This Cook's Illustrated one looks very interesting. I'm looking at there site now. thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispute
Hi Everyone,

I am both new to this forum and new to cooking but a have a real keen passion to get in there and learn as much as possible.

I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth. Appologies if I am not making sense. It's hard to express exactly what I am looking for.

Hope someone can help. Cheers
Hi, dispute. Welcome to DC.

One magazine that you might find extremely helpful is Cuisine at home. It has delicious recipes, great photographs and their explanations and "tutorials" are excellent for the beginner and advanced cook. I think it might be a good choice for someone like you. Here's a link to them: Cuisine at home.

You might also want to look into Kraft Food & Family magazine, which can be found by simply Googling the title.

I wish you success in your cooking endeavors.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Master Chef

I recommend Joy of Cooking. It's about $30 in the bookstores, but if you look on eBay, you may find a bargain. Just watch the shipping charges.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Welcome to DC, if and when you ever need help with a recipe or a how to - just ask! So many helpful and experienced cooks and chef's on here ! Enjoy !
Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispute
I am just wondering if their is any good books out their that teach you the basics like how to saute', proper cutting techniques, blanching and so forth.
I think you'd be better off with a video or videos to learn these techniques, or ascertain the availability of classes at local kitchen stores, or even the community college. It is much more adventageous to have these methods demonstrated, rather than described.

If you Google COOKING VIDEOS, you just might find something interesting, too.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
Cook

Some of the cookbooks we have give instructional info similar to what you may be asking but I don’t know if they are still published. The McCall’s Cookbook is one and the Betty Crocker cookbook is another but I know that some of the recipes from the old edition do not appear in the more recent versions so I’m not sure if the “How to” section has changed. You may want to go to a local bookstore and browse.

“Professional Cooking” by Wayne Gisslen is a text book I had in college and I continue to consult this book all the time. It will have all you want to know and then some. Step by step guides and many illustrations are printed in every chapter.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Master Chef

Did you know that there's actually a "Cooking For Dummies" book? Part of huge yellow & black softcover "Dummies" series. Here's a link to it on Amazon. There's also a bunch of more specialized "Cooking For Dummies" books - i.e. "Chinese Cooking For Dummies", "Gourmet Cooking For Dummies", "Cast-Iron Cooking For Dummies", etc., etc. While I don't have any of these titles, I do have a few of the "dummy" books on non-cooking topics, & for the most part they're well-written, easy to follow, & informative without being preachy.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Dummies-Bryan-Miller/dp/0764552503
Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just finished reviewing The Taste of Home Cookbook and was very, very impressed with it. So much so, that when I choose to give a new bride a cookbook as a wedding gift, this is the one I'll purchase.

It is thorough, thorough, thorough. It is well organized, offers one of the widest ranges of recipe/food sections I've seen in a long time, and the photographs were outstanding. If you are looking for a universal-type cookbook, I would suggest this one.

Before you buy any cookbooks, I recommend going to a bookstore to thumb through them to see which would be the best fit for you.