Cooking magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It isn't the money spend on a hobby, cookie, it's the trouble and cost of moving possessions. We had to move 600+ miles when Himself's job was relocated. It. Was. Not. Fun - and it was a corporate move, most everything handled (or paid for) by the company. I want to get back home (MA is a nice place to visit, but...), and I want it to involve as little trouble and cost as possible. The less we have to pack, the less we have to haul, the less The Move will cost. Besides, if I haven't cooked that recipe in the 40 years since I tore it out of the magazine, I'm pretty sure I won't every bother making it. :LOL:

Meanwhile, our neighbors across the street are appreciating my cleaning efforts. I've been getting rid of many craft-making items and taking them over to the family with three kids ranging in age from 11 to 4. My overly large supply of stock paper and card-making supplies are being put to good use.

CG, there was no cost, but the trouble:ohmy: Some years ago, we had a leak in the kitchen and it affected my office floor also. Thank goodness the insurance company took care of the cost, but we had to pack up everything in the kitchen and my office for a total of 65 boxes. I can understand what you must be going through having to worry about packing and moving a whole house. :rolleyes: ;)

Just reading my Food Network mag. that arrived yesterday. It's called "The Comfort Food Issue". There are 13 pages devoted to Mac n' Cheese. This will really make DH happy. lol

Here is just one of their suggestions. Spread warm mac n' cheese in a nonstick ovenproof skillet, then make a few wells in the mac with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 until the egg white are set but the yolks are still runny, 8 to 10 minutes. Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Take your pick. lol

Just reading my Food Network mag. that arrived yesterday. It's called "The Comfort Food Issue". There are 13 pages devoted to Mac n' Cheese. This will really make DH happy. lol

Here is just one of their suggestions. Spread warm mac n' cheese in a nonstick ovenproof skillet, then make a few wells in the mac with the back of a spoon. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 until the egg white are set but the yolks are still runny, 8 to 10 minutes. Breakfast, lunch or dinner? Take your pick. lol

Further into the section, they have suggestions on what to sprinkle over the top of the mac n' cheese before you bake it. Love this one, toss 2 cups crushed sour cream and onion potato chips with 8 slices cooked chopped bacon. Mmmmm:yum:

Another one that sounds good from FN.

French Onion Soup Mashed Potatoes

Heat 1 Tb. each butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 thinly sliced large onion and 1 1/2 tsp chopped thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions are caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. Top mashed potatoes with the onions and shredded gruyere.

Source: Food Network mag. March 2019

Well, it's been over 2 years, I guess you don't. LOL

Last week I received an offer from All Recipes mag. that I just could not refuse. Two years (12 issues) and 2 FREE cookbooks for $11. I used to get it until last year. In checking recipes made over the last few years, I saw that we had made some good ones from them, so I mailed it in. Let's hope they keep up the good work. lol

Anyone else have anything new to add?

The only cooking magazine I get is Cooks Illustrated, and their recipes are behind a paywall, which is why I don't share them. I should make more of an effort to cook from them. I love reading them and then I forget about them when it's time to cook.

Back
Top Bottom