Cooking magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Funny thing cookieee - I was just thinking of starting a thread to as if there are any other Milk Street fans out there!

I have subscribed to MS since they started, and I really like it. A friend who started it at the same time didn't renew - she didn't like the fact that "many, if not most" of the recipes called for ingredients that she didn't have. I can see her point, but that is probably one of the things that I like about it - most of the recipes are international recipes, which are the types of things I cook all the time. Often there are simpler recipes, as with desserts, but they are still different and unique, and sometimes interesting tips on cooking methods, as Kimble did on ATK.

I have a digital subscription, and one of the things that I get are frequent recipes in email, with the first one or two "free", to those with no subscription. Sometimes I have posted the link to forums when it looks really good - only free for 2 weeks, but if it looks good to anyone they can copy it.

Other magazines I haven't subscribed to in recent years, except when I'd get them free or almost free with a purchase. You have to be careful with those - go into your account right away, and turn off the automatic resubscription.

I used to like Cooks Illustrated, but after many years, recipes seemed to be more or less the same thing, sometimes complicated even more, to get the so called "perfect" recipe. I got a free subscription a couple of years ago, and liked it better - they seemed to have changed for the better, and I was seeing more interesting tips.

I used to like Saveur, but it seems to have fewer recipes, and more ads than it used to. Bon apétit used to be better, too, but I currently have a free sub to it, so I didn't pass it up! Food and Wine I got free, but was not impressed with it, and probably wouldn't even take it free again.

No magazines, but I have a few YouTube Channels I subscribe to.

Sous Vide Everything
Food Wishes (Chef John)
Bon Appétit (especially It's Alive with Brad)
Binging with Babish and Basics with Babish
Rick Bayless (not very active lately)
Eater (especially the meat centric Prime Time show)
DC member James Strange (Powerplantop) has some good videos on his YouTube Channel

Those are a few that come to mind.

CD

I get Cooks Illustrated. Along with the one for the Country.

I tried to watch Milk Street. Although recipes are mostly as stated International. Unfortunately Kimble hasn't learned his lesson. The reason he was let go from ATK was his refusal to make any changes to the presentation of a recipe. So they placated him with his own show.

ATK has now become quite a conglomerate. A lot of the kitchen chefs have been made Editor in Chief. Just looking at the final run of who's who, and you can see what I mean.

VegNews

Being vegetarian and my wife being a vegan, more importantly than the recipes, is the info on new products, where they an be found, news from around the country of new restaurants popping up... It kinda keeps us in the loop of what's going on, and where it's happening.

Anytime im in a bookstore, I do find myself wandering over to the magazine section, thumbing through a bunch and buying the ones that look like they'll keep me busy for awhile. Just like above, more important than the recipes is looking through the ads, classified ares of the magazines. I love seeing the new products, ingredients ,different websites listed to check out ....

I get Cooks Illustrated. Along with the one for the Country.

I tried to watch Milk Street. Although recipes are mostly as stated International. Unfortunately Kimble hasn't learned his lesson. The reason he was let go from ATK was his refusal to make any changes to the presentation of a recipe. So they placated him with his own show.

The reason he left ATK was that the owners wanted him to work on a succession plan and he refused. So they hired a CEO and he decided to leave. Then they sued him, saying he stole customer lists and test cooks from ATK.

ATK has now become quite a conglomerate. A lot of the kitchen chefs have been made Editor in Chief. Just looking at the final run of who's who, and you can see what I mean.

Just like there can only be one captain of a ship, there can be only one editor in chief of a magazine. My March/April issue of Cooks Illustrated shows Dan Souza is the editor in chief.

I only get Cooks Illustrated. I also have the online subscription, so I can look things up. Other magazines have too many ads.

I still get Bon Apetit, but I won’t be renewing, although I still like thumbing through it. I used to get Food and Wine, but I got really tired of their articles about restaurants in foreign countries that I’ll never get a chance to visit, and reviews of American restaurants to which I’d never be able to get a reservation, let alone afford. Food Network never floated my boat either.

I’d like to get ATK and Cook’s Country. I just can’t afford it right now.

I stopped getting Paper magazines many years ago as they were mostly ads and I had no interest in half the content.

Now I visit their websites and can see just what I want and don't have to deal with all the rest. I don't bother with sites that you have to pay to visit.

We used to get Bon Appetit and did so for years and years, but it got too advertisement heavy and like JJ travel/restaurant heavy for places we'll more than likely never go. Plus, the actual recipes seemed to be dwindling, probably because they needed the room for the other things.

We've been getting Food and Wine, Taste of Home, and Food Network. We do like Food and Wine, and Taste of Home, but I don't think we'll renew Food Network because there are a lot of recipes for things we either won't eat or we already make and like the way we do it. As well, too many short-cut/prepackaged/processed ingredients in the recipes, which to be honest Taste of Home does a lot of too, just not as much as FN it seems to us.

I get daily emails from Bon Apetit, Taste, Taste Of Home, Southern Cooking, and several sites under the Recipe Lion umbrella. I like the BA emails the best, with Taste coming in a strong second. I’m seriously thinking of unsubscribing from the RL e-mails; lots of recipes, but you’ve gotta sort through them and go to each page, because the recipe links are titled things like “Grandma’s Favorite Soup,” or “Secret Ingredient #1.” Very annoying!

I stopped getting Paper magazines many years ago as they were mostly ads and I had no interest in half the content.

Now I visit their websites and can see just what I want and don't have to deal with all the rest. I don't bother with sites that you have to pay to visit.

Exactly the same answer from me.^ I also refuse to pay sites like the New York Times for their recipes.

Funny thing cookieee - I was just thinking of starting a thread to as if there are any other Milk Street fans out there!

I have subscribed to MS since they started, and I really like it. A friend who started it at the same time didn't renew - she didn't like the fact that "many, if not most" of the recipes called for ingredients that she didn't have. I can see her point, but that is probably one of the things that I like about it - most of the recipes are international recipes, which are the types of things I cook all the time. Often there are simpler recipes, as with desserts, but they are still different and unique, and sometimes interesting tips on cooking methods, as Kimble did on ATK.

I have a digital subscription, and one of the things that I get are frequent recipes in email, with the first one or two "free", to those with no subscription. Sometimes I have posted the link to forums when it looks really good - only free for 2 weeks, but if it looks good to anyone they can copy it.

Other magazines I haven't subscribed to in recent years, except when I'd get them free or almost free with a purchase. You have to be careful with those - go into your account right away, and turn off the automatic resubscription.

I used to like Cooks Illustrated, but after many years, recipes seemed to be more or less the same thing, sometimes complicated even more, to get the so called "perfect" recipe. I got a free subscription a couple of years ago, and liked it better - they seemed to have changed for the better, and I was seeing more interesting tips.

I used to like Saveur, but it seems to have fewer recipes, and more ads than it used to. Bon apétit used to be better, too, but I currently have a free sub to it, so I didn't pass it up! Food and Wine I got free, but was not impressed with it, and probably wouldn't even take it free again.

:LOL:Hi Dave, you know what they say about "Great Minds"

I still have the Charter Issue, Fall 2016, filled with a lot of good recipes.
I don't remember now why I didn't subscribe to it. It might have something to do with the price. :rolleyes:

At one time or another, I have subscribed to all the other magazines you mentioned.

I still get Bon Apetit, but I won’t be renewing, although I still like thumbing through it. I used to get Food and Wine, but I got really tired of their articles about restaurants in foreign countries that I’ll never get a chance to visit, and reviews of American restaurants to which I’d never be able to get a reservation, let alone afford. Food Network never floated my boat either.

I’d like to get ATK and Cook’s Country. I just can’t afford it right now.
Joel, I sooo agree with you about Food and Wine. I just could not relate to it.

The magazines I subscribe to now are:

All Recipes, Taste of Home and Woman's Day. Those are the ones I receive 6 times a year.

And then the ones I receive 10 times a year are Food Network and Rachael Ray Everyday.

My biggest complaint about all of them is I do not like all the "PILL" ads:mad:

My second biggest complaint is they do not come out every month. lol

I can understand why they do both. I don't know how much longer we will have magazines. I just try to enjoy them while they are still around. I especially enjoy Food Network. I sometimes find it hard to find a recipe that we just have to try, but every once in a while they come up with some good ones. I especially like their "50 things to ........" booklet. The way they separate Weeknight Cooking and Weekend Cooking. Their monthly Calendar, and the list goes on. lol

I'm waiting for my first issue of Taste of Homes Simple & Delicious - yes:ohmy: another 6 issues a year deal. lol

Does anyone know of a cooking magazine that comes out 12 times a year.? :huh:

The reason I subscribe to the paper copy of Cooks Illustrated is that I enjoy reading a paper copy sometimes [emoji2] There are no ads except for their own products, which are on inserts that can be easily pulled out of the magazine, so they don't interrupt my reading. I really enjoy it, so I don't mind paying for it.

I think they're updating some of their recipes as they learn new techniques, but they have new items, too. And I trust their product recommendations, since they compare different brands using the same criteria. As a science teacher friend said, they're set up like a scientific experiment, so they try to eliminate bias.

I get free magazines in exchange for recycling points earned at Recyclebank.com. Our trash hauler no longer offers the program at the lowest levels of service (and when you don't generate trash, you don't need the fancy plan), but I have a ton of points in the bank. Most of my magazines are on their last month or two, but I've been getting Eating Well (rolled over to this when Cooking Light ceased publication at the end of next year), Rachel Ray Everyday, Midwest Living, Southern Living, and Country Living. :ermm: It looks like my magazine basket does a lot more "living" than I do! :LOL:

The reason I subscribe to the paper copy of Cooks Illustrated is that I enjoy reading a paper copy sometimes...
Me, too! Paper magazines, real bound books from the library (picked up three today) - it's a tactile thing. Some people like sleeping under weighted blankets, I like the heft of a "real" book or magazine and Ottolenghi's most recent, "Ottolenghi simple : a cookbook" sure is a heavy one! :ohmy:

I just got a free issue of the Food Network mag. No idea what triggered this - something I ordered, I guess. Some interesting recipes, but nothing that would make me want to subscribe.

Back
Top Bottom