Cooking Magazines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema - that little Martha Stewart one I think is called Everyday Food. I like it too. The recipes look sophisticated, but they are so well described they're actually easy, and are almost never as ingredient intensive as other magazines. Sort of, sophisticated food for the home cook. That book also seems to contain a wealth of food, technique and nutrition information. I wish it was physically larger. -Sandyj

jennyema said:
I like Savoir, Cooks Illustrated, Bon Appetit and that little Martha Stewart one that now has a TV show (name escapes me)

Also like the Rosengarten Report and John Thorne's newsletter, though not real cooking mags

Pdswife ... wish you could send those BA's to me!:) I got a hold of about three years worth from my coworker and I was like a pig in you know what. I love their recipes.

If I hadn't already promised them to my friend I would send them to you. :)

Sandyj said:
jennyema - that little Martha Stewart one I think is called Everyday Food. I like it too. The recipes look sophisticated, but they are so well described they're actually easy, and are almost never as ingredient intensive as other magazines. Sort of, sophisticated food for the home cook. That book also seems to contain a wealth of food, technique and nutrition information. I wish it was physically larger. -Sandyj

Hmmmm, if I didn't hate Martha Stewart with a vengeance, I might consider buying this one LOL!

Paint.

I'm with the majority here. I'd recommend Cooks Illustrated and Cuisine at Home. I subscribe to neither but believe they're the very best for what you are looking for. When hubby picked up the latter, he said, "Oh, Claire, you make this, you do that, this is just how you do it." Heck, I've been cooking for 40 years and love innovation. Since these magazines do the basics with a flavor twist or boost, I love them. If you have kids, Cooks Illustrated sometimes does a bit of the science of cooking as well.

For myself, I subscribe to Gourmet and Saveur. NOT practical cooking magazines that you are looking for. More "gee, if I were rich ..." fantasies! Don't get me wrong, many tried-and-true recipes that are part of my everyday life come from Gourmet and I have them dating back to '86! And I love food history and geography, which Saveur fulfills. But ... not practical at all!

Thanks pdswife, I love getting the magazines from you, it's a wonderful way to fill up any spare time I have by reading those lovely BonAppetite magazines from you! I appreciate it - and you - very much!
I used to get Taste of Home and all the other Reiman publication magazines, loved them. But I'm a packrat and keep them all, so I had to quit getting so many subscriptions. I still get Martha Stewarts mag though, I've always been a big fan of hers. :) Now I check out magazines from the library, copy what recipes I want and return it to the library. I do like the Gourmet magazine also, but my kids are not into me trying too many new things, I end up eating everything.

mudbug said:
I'm dumping Gourmet and Food and Wine and am gonna try Cuisine At Home and Bon Appetit for a year.

Gourmet and Bon Appetit are made by the same people. If you were disappointed with Gourmet, you will be with BA as well. They post all of their recipes on their website anyway and you can sign up to get new recipes delivered to your e mail once a month. www.epicurious.com

I subscribe to Fine Cooking and couldn't be more pleased with it. I have learned so much from that mag in the past year I've subscribed. I've thought about getting Cuisine at home but every time I pick it up in the grocery store I feel like it's just a mock imitation of Fine Cooking. Seems like they have the same idea but Fine Cooking has a lot more in each mag they publish, Cuisine at Home is such a little magazine. Fine Cooking has great articles about recipes, tool reviews (from ovens to pepper mills) and a test kitchen, where they try everything out.

I'm a big fan, if you can't tell:rolleyes:

Last edited:
way to rain on my parade, corazon (j/k :-p)

really, thanks for the inside scoop. I keep getting "trial" issues of Cuisine At Home in the mail, and I do try (or want to) a lot of the recipes it contains.

If BA has less travel junk in it than Gourmet I'll be happy.

And hey, I can always cancel - right?

Back
Top Bottom