Cooking software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Does anyone have a computer program disc that is designed for storing/retreiving recipes?

I need a recommendation, but please, make it for one you have actually used. I've taken advice from folks who "think" one might be good, and it usually is really a waste.

I don't know if it's out there, but I'm looking for one that:

- I can type in my own recipes
-I don't have to keep their pre-stored recipes
-I can do a search on one or more words
-I can search by type of food (casserole, roast, breads)
-recipes can be printed easily

Is there such a disc? Thank you so much!

My mom uses one. I'll have to find out from her what the program was called. I think it was MasterCook, but I might be mistaken. I need to get a copy of it, too. :)[/url]

jkath, how good are you at MS Word? You can easily do all that stuff, organize recipes in folders, and retreive items using the "search" function.
Plus, you're not starting with a bunch of recipes you want to throw out.

Well I can say that I have used it, but only a few times. Mastercook seems to be the one to go with. I do believe that it does everything you are looking for and more. I tried it for a short while, but found that I like using word.docs better and I would never use all the bells and whistles that Mastercook offers, but for those that would use it, it is a great (and pretty inexpensive) program.

Weeks said:
My mom uses one. I'll have to find out from her what the program was called. I think it was MasterCook, but I might be mistaken. I need to get a copy of it, too. :)[/url]
You know what? I have mastercook 5, and it does have some good recipes, but it's unbelievably hard to print out - it prints in 3-4 different pieces! Also, I can't seem to program in my own stuff easy enough. Keep in mind I can make anything "pretty", whether it's a newsletter, card or flyer, but when it comes to "real" stuff...well, that's another story! ;)
(ps weeks, thanks for your postings - I really appreciate them!)

Mudbug - my MS Word hates me. Every time I use it, and then click out, I've apparently performed an illegal opperation. The computer guy who de-bugged my pc told me my computer has an attitude and is incorrigible.

(So I use print shop for most thingys, except charts and the like)

Since MS Word is out (that would have gotten my vote hands down), ChoclateChef's freeware looks pretty interesting in the screen shots. And it's free.

My kinda gal, choclatechef! ;)

There's a program called Now You're Cooking that's listed in the links list on this site. Anyone know anything about it? The web address is www.ffts.com

Jkath, thanks for starting this topic. I've been trying to figure out for ages what to do with my ever growing collection of recipes--I have too many binders, boxes and back issues. Hubby keeps saying it's time to consolidate and he's right, I just haven't found a program that seems "user friendly" yet. Hopefully we'll find something here! :D

I realize that MS Word is out. However, I have to agree with mudbug, as I use MS Word for all my recipes.

I had to take a computer class in college that taught me how to use MS Office 97, so I pretty much know how to use MS Word.

I keep my recipes in a folder titled "recipes" on my pc's HDD. I have sub-folders for things like Desserts, Breads, Salads, Entrees, etc. Heck, the Entree's folder has sub-folders!

If you use Windows Explorer, you can easily search through any folder(s) looking for keywords in the title of the document. If that doesn't work, you can even search for keywords INSIDE the document(s) in the folder(s). It takes a bit to get used to, but it does work. I've got over 2200 recipes right now, and I add a couple every week.

Choclate - you've got me on track now - as for the cheap and free, girlfriend, I am there!

Allen - you sound way too knowledgeable! Now I'm quite intimidated, but in a "I need to know more" way. I will try to see if anyone I know can help me use your ideas. It would be fantastic if I could get it to work!

mudbug said:
jkath, how good are you at MS Word? You can easily do all that stuff, organize recipes in folders, and retreive items using the "search" function.
Plus, you're not starting with a bunch of recipes you want to throw out.

Spot on. I have used so many of these programs that I will never use another. Entering the recipes is a real pain. Tabbing across columns and selection boxes and scrolling down to find the units you want or the variation etc etc it just goes on and on. Now if I see a good recipe I just highlight, copy and paste into Wordpad, quick and simple. I store them in a folder called RECIPES and then have sub folders such as Cakes, Spicy, Asian etc. i can retrieve a recipe quicker than the programs can load up.

Bangbang said:
choclatechef said:
Master cook costs $20. Regi Dean is free: http://www.homeplansoftware.com/recipe.htm

Have you downloaded it. Have you had any problems with your pc since using it?

I have it on my dedicated laptop, that I do not use to go online with. So far, I have had no problems with my computer.

I am sad to say, I have not yet bothered to cut and paste any of the recipes I keep on that computer to the recipe software! I guess I am too lazy. It still is in a group of folders itemized as appetizers, main dishes, etc. on MS Word.

One day, I will have the energy to mess with the recipe software, and at least it is free.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mastercook. Been using it for years. I copy & save recipes as text files in a folder, & later paste them into MC. I right click on food pics & save them too; then add them to the recipe. You can delete their recipes, if you like. I used the program & made little books for every catagory, i.e. poultry, seafood, etc., then into subcatagories. It's an ongoing hobby I really emjoy. Only problem - saving it as a text file, I later have to edit/tighten up spaces in sentences (if that makes sense). If I wasn't so tired, I'd go check which versions I have.

foodsleepingkitty.jpg

PA Baker said:
AllenMI--do you have a separate document for each recipe?

Yes I do. This makes it easy count them, as I just open My Documents, and right-click on the Recipes folders, and select Properties. A handful of the documents aren't recipes. The rest are.

I can also look at a list of the documents in each subfolder, and browse through them, when I'm not sure what I'm looking for, or just trying to get some inspiration on what to fix.

Personally, I am a MasterCook fan.
Does anybody have something against it, outside of the fact that it is not free?

It does everything anybody has mentioned, plus a few more great things, there are a million recipes on the web in MC format. You can import them with a very minimal effort, and you can do cut and paste for all the directions and notes with all other text recipes; you do have to enter the ingredients manually if you want to take advantage of all the search features, nutritional calculations, calculations to increase or decrease the number of servings and making grocery lists for you.

I haven't had any problems printing but you do have to select a style that will print everything on one page - forgot who mentioned this, but try selecting "vegetarian" style.

Anyhow, while you may be happy in the short run with a free program, I think it is worth the money for MasterCook. I share recipes with a lot of people because we all have the same program.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom