"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Cook's Illustrated app vs web subscription

I just got an email that Cooks Illustrated is running a web subscription special for $17.50, which is 50% off the annual price. I'm trying to figure out whether I should take advantage of that or subscribe to their iPhone/iPad app which is $19.99 annually and looks really cool and feature rich. Any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I just got an email that Cooks Illustrated is running a web subscription special for $17.50, which is 50% off the annual price. I'm trying to figure out whether I should take advantage of that or subscribe to their iPhone/iPad app which is $19.99 annually and looks really cool and feature rich. Any suggestions?
I would go for the $17.50 one. Just remember that they only publish six editions a year. One every other month. And are you going to get the "whole" magazine? Even the editorials or letters from Christopher? Do you read every single page in it when you get the hard copy? (I do. So I would want the complete edition.) If so will you get that feature with the special?

Or are you a person who has to have the latest and greatest coolest thing to come along? (I am not.) Can you print out any of the recipes from your iPad/iPhone? It is going to be difficult to read it when you are trying a new recipe. What is the main section that you read every single time.? "The Food Tastes?" The Equipment Test?" Will that be included?

Not so simple is it? Lots to think about. For me I would rather have the hard copy. And the pictures on the back covers make for some lovely framed pictures for your kitchen. You won't get them on your iPad/iPhone.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Does the web subscription give you access the the entire web site? If so, it's a no-brainer.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Does the web subscription give you access the the entire web site? If so, it's a no-brainer.

Yes it does! Just spoke to customer service. They told me I would also have access to all back issues of Cooks Illustrated magazine online. I'm going for the web version!!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Buyer beware. Maybe they've changed their policies, but I'd be very leary of anything that Cooks Illustrated offers.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a paid subscription to their magazine. In addition, I also paid another $25 per year to subscribe to their website. That should have given me access to everything, you would think.

The problem I ran into is that every other time I tried to pull up a recipe on their website, I would get a message that said: "Sorry. This page is for Editors' Choice Cookbook Collection Members Only". And there would be a link to "upgrade" my membership. Really? On top of what I paid, they wanted even more money?

No thanks. My subscriptions have since lapsed, and I won't be signing up again anytime soon. There are plenty of recipe sites on the internet that offer as much, if not more, information than Cooks Illustrated.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

As much as I love Cook's illustrated, they have been bordering on scammy. I ordered my cookbooks from Amazon to avoid getting caught up in their auto ship mess. So many recipes repeated from book to book.

There have been quite a few tricks that I have learned from them that I'm grateful for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Buyer beware. Maybe they've changed their policies, but I'd be very leary of anything that Cooks Illustrated offers.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a paid subscription to their magazine. In addition, I also paid another $25 per year to subscribe to their website. That should have given me access to everything, you would think.

The problem I ran into is that every other time I tried to pull up a recipe on their website, I would get a message that said: "Sorry. This page is for Editors' Choice Cookbook Collection Members Only". And there would be a link to "upgrade" my membership. Really? On top of what I paid, they wanted even more money?

No thanks. My subscriptions have since lapsed, and I won't be signing up again anytime soon. There are plenty of recipe sites on the internet that offer as much, if not more, information than Cooks Illustrated.

I've had similar feelings about their money hungry approach so don't go there anymore. I got an unsolicited "free" mini issue in the mail. That was followed by a bill for a full subscription. I had to either go online or call the cancel the subscription.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I think I can cancel before the two week trial is up. Mostly I wanted the equipment and food reviews. I hope signing up wasn't a big mistake!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I think I can cancel before the two week trial is up. Mostly I wanted the equipment and food reviews. I hope signing up wasn't a big mistake!
I thin you'll enjoy the content. Just keep on top of their trying to get more money from you.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I thin you'll enjoy the content. Just keep on top of their trying to get more money from you.

Thanks Andy. I'm relieved. For $17.99 it seems to be a decent value, especially since I'm a newbie and have lots to learn.

Tags
cook