Cook's Illustrated magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have several of their recipe books...grilling, vegetables, and Italian Food. They are excellent guides,
My only cooking magazine is Taste of Home. I give subscriptions to my children and friends for Christmas, and they all enjoy it as much as I do. I wouldn't mind getting a couple more magazines, but a lot of the fancier ones often call for ingredients that are either impossible to get here in the sticks, or are way out of my price range. If any of you have some good, practical ones to recommend, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Many good responses to this post have been made regarding Cooks Illustrated. I subscribed for a couple of years and find I only refer to past issues for the product reviews, not the recipes. I found the articles irritating to read, trying to wade through the discussions of trying this and that and neither worked so we tried.......I would think, duh, if you understood food chemistry you would have known that would have not worked. I got the feeling the authors were inexperienced and not particularly good writers. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that my most looked at magazines are the ones put out by Taste of Home.

You can subscribe to their website for $20-25/year. Most, if not all, of their magazine/cookbook content is on the website for much, much cheaper.

I would agree with the other posters. They remind me of that nerdy guy in Chemistry class. They have all the answers, they are always right, and their opinions are fact. That being said, much of the content is good.

I too think Cooks Illustrated is great if you're just getting started & are interested in learning specific terms & techniques. But as others have posted, I also get irritated by their "this is the BEST recipe for this" kind of thing. There is NO best recipe for anything. The BEST recipe is the one you enjoy the most. Food, like art, is a personal thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom