"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Donna Hay

Can someone tell me about her cookbooks? She has a whole shelf of them at Barnes & Nobel and I've never heard a word about her before.

Anyone have them, use them and/or enjoy them?

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Jan, I used to get her monthly magazine for a couple of years, and also bought 3 of her books ( Modern Classics, Off the Shelf and one other ) but have given it all a miss now. Thats only because IMO she is covering things that are already pretty well known downunder ( she is an Australian )

I have been getting our own Cuisine magazine ( New Zealand) since its inception which must be around 18 years now, and more recently Dish, another great monthly read.

Sorry... You were talking books but honestly, these magazines have HEAPS of wonderful recipes and ideas. If you see them, treat yourself!!

In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #3
Head Chef
I have her 'The Instant Cook' with a blurb from Mario Batali. He calls her the Zen mistress of simplicity in both technique and presentation. The recipes and pictures prove his words. I use some of her recipes regularly. They're not fussy and use only a short list of ingredients. There are many other recipes that are worth a try. Also she shares clever kitchen and food prep tips.

Donna Hay is Australian and is very popular in her country. My book was a gift from my Aussie friend who has several of her cookbooks.
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Thank you both, very much.

I think I may have seen Cuisine at the bookstore, Lyn.

Chopstix, I'll check them out the next time I'm there.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
my neice, gave me her Modern Classics for Christmas. I enjoy thumbing through it and the pictures are really nice. As the title states, the recipes are classics and many I already know. But it makes a great book to look in for a quick refresh of different recipes and things that can slip the mind if you haven't made it in awhile. The How to's in the book are a great help for a begginer or someone who isn't positive on a tecnique, or someone like me with memory lapses
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Head Chef
I do not have any of Donna Hay's Cookbooks but I have seen a lot of them at Borders which is also owned by Barnes & Noble.

There is a Borders quite close to me and I can spend hours and hours going through the Cookbooks and also many other subjects.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Cook
She is an Australian cook. Used to work for Marie Claire in Australia and now has her own magazine.

I have the Instant Cook and 10 minute meals...I find them good to use as I can usually find the ingredients for many of the recipes without a trip to the supermarket and are really simple recipes. I also like the pictures. However, I haven't tried any her other recipe books and know of others that absolutely hate her recipes.

Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote