E-Reader Cookbooks for Kindle and Nook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone ever downloaded the free Kindle reader app to their PC? I just heard about it and wondered if it's any good and worth the trouble. I could download the cookbooks to my computer since I don't have a Kindle.

Has anyone ever downloaded the free Kindle reader app to their PC? I just heard about it and wondered if it's any good and worth the trouble. I could download the cookbooks to my computer since I don't have a Kindle.
I downloaded it. It works fine. I keep the books on my PC and transfer them to my Kindle if I want to keep them (this way, I can take them with me when I travel--lot easier than having the laptop open in the kitchen).

I have the Kindle app downloaded on anything I can download it on, PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone.

I have the Kindle app downloaded on anything I can download it on, PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone.

Thanks, I will download it then. I have never bought a book for my e-reader. I only use the library e-book system. I download the book to my PC and then transfer it to my Android and Nook. Then I have it on either one. Only the Nook can be read in sunlight. I never read a book more than once, so it works for me to just borrow them from the library. With the cookbooks, I would like to save them on my PC so the Kindle App would be beneficial.

Yes, I did, works great. I have downloaded to my PC, my iPhone and my iPad, absolutely love it, especially iPad, much better than Kindle itself.

I don't have a Kindle but I have an Android and two Nooks. I downloaded some of the PDF cookbooks listed here, but I found that once they are on my Nook it's a little small for me to read, but I can just keep them on my PC and use them that way. Then I can print out a recipe if I want to make it instead of constantly referring to the PC. I might be able to download the Kindle ones to my PC too, even though I don't have an actual Kindle. I went through a couple of the cookbooks and just copied and pasted recipes to my recipe file on my PC.

I've found that on my Android tablet with the Kindle app, you can pinch zoom pdfs to make them a bit bigger. I prefer the Kindle app over the Nook app.

I've found that on my Android tablet with the Kindle app, you can pinch zoom pdfs to make them a bit bigger. I prefer the Kindle app over the Nook app.

So I CAN download the Kindle app to my Android tablet? Then I would be able to download Kindle books. Right? That's interesting. I bought a Nook HD+ and haven't figured out how to use it yet. It's different from my Nook Simple Touch.

So I CAN download the Kindle app to my Android tablet? Then I would be able to download Kindle books. Right? That's interesting. I bought a Nook HD+ and haven't figured out how to use it yet. It's different from my Nook Simple Touch.

Yes, you can. I have an Android tablet, too. The Kindle app opens pdfs as well as Kindle books.

I heard today that Amazon will be raising the price on some of it's e-books. It has something to do with Apple and the government. I read about it online and it's a lot of mumbo jumbo I didn't understand. It looks like the e-books that are now $9.99 are going to increase to $12.99 and $14.99. They are fighting it but realize they are going to lose the fight.

I heard today that Amazon will be raising the price on some of it's e-books. It has something to do with Apple and the government. I read about it online and it's a lot of mumbo jumbo I didn't understand. It looks like the e-books that are now $9.99 are going to increase to $12.99 and $14.99. They are fighting it but realize they are going to lose the fight.
Does it mean just your government or everybody's? Mind you, it'll probably have a knock-on effect on everywhere.

You are three years behind on the news, plus you got it totally wrong.

What happened was that Apple got together with publishers just prior to release of the iPad in 2010 to bypass Amazon's 9.99 price for e-books and raise prices.

It was an antitrust lawsuit that brought this to light. The "government" had nothing to do with it, other than the fact that collusion between companies to fix prices for a commodity (including e-books) is illegal, and has been for about 100 years (if not more).

The price increase is over and done with, and Apple and the 5 or 6 publishers it colluded with are the ones who did it. "The government" had nothing to do with it. It was purely a corporate conspiracy.

Amazon isn't fighting ANYTHING. Apple and the associated publishers, however, lost the antitrust lawsuit and are planning an appeal. If they lose again, as seems highly likely, the end result is apt to be a DECREASE in prices, now that the price-fixing ring is basically exposed.

Last edited:
You are three years behind on the news, plus you got it totally wrong.

What happened was that Apple got together with publishers just prior to release of the iPad in 2010 to bypass Amazon's 9.99 price for e-books and raise prices.

It was an antitrust lawsuit that brought this to light. The "government" had nothing to do with it, other than the fact that collusion between companies to fix prices for a commodity (including e-books) is illegal, and has been for about 100 years (if not more).

The price increase is over and done with, and Apple and the 5 or 6 publishers it colluded with are the ones who did it. "The government" had nothing to do with it. It was purely a corporate conspiracy.

Amazon isn't fighting ANYTHING. Apple and the associated publishers, however, lost the antitrust lawsuit and are planning an appeal. If they lose again, as seems highly likely, the end result is apt to be a DECREASE in prices, now that the price-fixing ring is basically exposed.

I don't doubt that something went on 3 years ago, but the articles I read online referring to this issue were dated July 2013.

Back
Top Bottom