"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #311
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

So I CAN download the Kindle app to my Android tablet? Then I would be able to download Kindle books. Right? That's interesting. I bought a Nook HD+ and haven't figured out how to use it yet. It's different from my Nook Simple Touch.
Yes, you can. I have an Android tablet, too. The Kindle app opens pdfs as well as Kindle books.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #312
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers for these

Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #313
Executive Chef

I heard today that Amazon will be raising the price on some of it's e-books. It has something to do with Apple and the government. I read about it online and it's a lot of mumbo jumbo I didn't understand. It looks like the e-books that are now $9.99 are going to increase to $12.99 and $14.99. They are fighting it but realize they are going to lose the fight.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #314
Chef Extraordinaire

Awww no, that is no good!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #315
Chef Extraordinaire

Grabbed this one tonight:

Download Dolci by Daniella Malfitano - BookBub
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #316
Chef Extraordinaire

If you missed this on October 15, 2012, it is available again today:

Download Smoothie Power! by Diane Kidman - BookBub
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #317
Chef Extraordinaire

A freebie for Kindle today:

Amazon.com: Canology - A Beginner's Guide To Canning & Preserving Locally-Grown Natural Foods eBook: David Lieder: Kindle Store
Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #318
Executive Chef

Quote:
I heard today that Amazon will be raising the price on some of it's e-books. It has something to do with Apple and the government. I read about it online and it's a lot of mumbo jumbo I didn't understand. It looks like the e-books that are now $9.99 are going to increase to $12.99 and $14.99. They are fighting it but realize they are going to lose the fight.
Does it mean just your government or everybody's? Mind you, it'll probably have a knock-on effect on everywhere.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #319
Senior Cook

Quote:
You are three years behind on the news, plus you got it totally wrong.

What happened was that Apple got together with publishers just prior to release of the iPad in 2010 to bypass Amazon's 9.99 price for e-books and raise prices.

It was an antitrust lawsuit that brought this to light. The "government" had nothing to do with it, other than the fact that collusion between companies to fix prices for a commodity (including e-books) is illegal, and has been for about 100 years (if not more).

The price increase is over and done with, and Apple and the 5 or 6 publishers it colluded with are the ones who did it. "The government" had nothing to do with it. It was purely a corporate conspiracy.

Amazon isn't fighting ANYTHING. Apple and the associated publishers, however, lost the antitrust lawsuit and are planning an appeal. If they lose again, as seems highly likely, the end result is apt to be a DECREASE in prices, now that the price-fixing ring is basically exposed.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #320
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post
You are three years behind on the news, plus you got it totally wrong.

What happened was that Apple got together with publishers just prior to release of the iPad in 2010 to bypass Amazon's 9.99 price for e-books and raise prices.

It was an antitrust lawsuit that brought this to light. The "government" had nothing to do with it, other than the fact that collusion between companies to fix prices for a commodity (including e-books) is illegal, and has been for about 100 years (if not more).

The price increase is over and done with, and Apple and the 5 or 6 publishers it colluded with are the ones who did it. "The government" had nothing to do with it. It was purely a corporate conspiracy.

Amazon isn't fighting ANYTHING. Apple and the associated publishers, however, lost the antitrust lawsuit and are planning an appeal. If they lose again, as seems highly likely, the end result is apt to be a DECREASE in prices, now that the price-fixing ring is basically exposed.

I don't doubt that something went on 3 years ago, but the articles I read online referring to this issue were dated July 2013.

Tags
cookbooks