"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook

EatYourBooks!!

This is a terrific website I was just put onto! It does cost, but you get a trial subscription to see if you like it. You list the cookbooks, magazines, and websites you have, and the go on your "bookshelf." When you want a recipe, instead of looking through all of your books, you can type in what your have, or what you want to cook, and all of the possibilites out of your own cookbooks are displayed And not just American cookbooks. also UK/Aus books as well.

Eat Your Books - A search engine for your cookbooks!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
Head Chef

Seems pretty simple. Don't imagine it provides recipes from all those books. That would be a bit too much to expect for $25 a year. They have, though indexed the recipes, and it looks like you can find which books have recipes fitting your keywords. You get that and a list of ingredients and go to the physical book for the full recipe.

Actually, it appears you can search all the indexed cookbooks, magazines, etc., and can see the ingredients list without signing up. Of course, you can't register a book as being on your "shelf" without signing on. And not a bad way to check out a prospective book purchase. You can go into the library and see the list of recipes in each book. Doesn't tell you how well it's written, but it tells you if it covers the sort of things you want. Interesting concept. Wish I'd thought of it.

Their list of most common specific books on users' shelves is kind of what you'd expect:

TOP 10 BOOKS
from our Members' Bookshelves

The Silver Palate Cookbook
Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol I
Joy of Cooking
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
The New Basics Cookbook
Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
Ad Hoc at Home
The Barefoot Contessa Family Style
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I've been a member of EYB for 2 years. It is fabulous. I find I'm getting a lot more use out of my cookbooks now.

I'm a lot more comfortable selecting a recipe from a favorite cookbook than from an unknown person with a blog.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Wow, what a great idea!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Seems pretty simple. Don't imagine it provides recipes from all those books. That would be a bit too much to expect for $25 a year.
You'd have to go to Epicurious for that (new feature there.) EYB has made cooking sooooo much easier for me, because I can type in what ingredients I have and get all the recipes I have that use those items. I actually am much more efficient, and feel as though I save $$ because I'm able to use everything I have.

This one is a keeper