Educational Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewismalpas

Assistant Cook
Hi DC,

After the amazing recommendations I recieved in my last thread I thought I would try my luck again and start another thread. As I am relatively new to cooking I often follow recipes which aid me in the kitchen - whilst this is great I don't feel I am actually learning about food and the impact of each ingredient.

I am after a cook book which therefore focuses upon ingredients, techniques, equipment etc which will help me become a better chef by educating me and extending my knowledge.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Lewis.

Mark Bittman's ~ How to Cook Everything is a good one. I love Mark's books because he gives a basic recipe template from which to start and offers tons of suggestions on which flavors work well together. He's all about you changing things up in ways that suit your tastes and gives you courage to experiment. His The Food Matters Cookbook is another one I love.

Here's a link to a a discussion on Chow's Forums where there are some good suggestions as well.

Also, check out 641* in the non-fiction section at the library. I have almost beaten my cookbook purchasing compulsion by checking out an armful every month or two instead. ;)

Mark Bittman's ~ How to Cook Everything is a good one. I love Mark's books because he gives a basic recipe template from which to start and offers tons of suggestions on which flavors work well together. He's all about you changing things up in ways that suit your tastes and gives you courage to experiment. His The Food Matters Cookbook is another one I love.

Here's a link to a a discussion on Chow's Forums where there are some good suggestions as well.

Also, check out 641* in the non-fiction section at the library. I have almost beaten my cookbook purchasing compulsion by checking out an armful every month or two instead. ;)

+1

There's an app for it too!

"The Professional Chef" from Culinary Institute of America. Great reference book. Although the recipes are more for high volume cooking, which may be broken down. Lots of info. Also pretty high priced.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the recomendations, I will do some research and will invest in one or two to get me started!

Thanks!

The way i see it the best educational cooking book is the one used for education. Get one from culinary school, the one that is used in cooking classes.

Back
Top Bottom