Family cook book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Hutchins

Head Chef
:chef:Has any of you wonderful good cooks ever wrote a family cook book with all of your and your familys best loved dishes and gave it to your kin.

The closest I've ever come to doing this, Dave, is when our youngest son got married. As a wedding gift, I handwrote 100 of his favorites I prepared when he was growing up. I've been told I should write a cookbook but there are only 24 hours in a day.:)

Katie E that's a wonderful idea, your son is lucky to have you as a mother.

Then again, my mum's pretty awesome too.

My nan is getting on in years, and she refuses to write down her recipes. I think it'd be admitting that she's going to do, so she won't do it. She also won't write her memoirs or anything of the sort.

Sigh. One day my nan will be gone, and I'll be standing in front of the freezer, the last piece of her slice sitting there. It'll be the last thing she ever made for me, and the last time I'll ever have that type of slice... And then it'll be gone, and so will she.

I've compiled a couple of family "cook books" from old hand written recipess from my Grandmother, and Mother. Included is a section of recipes from Bertha, our family cook. a creole lady out of South Louisiana. Since all of them have passed away, the books have become real treasures. I recommend every one do something like this. Now I have one that is unique to me and dw to pass on to our children. It is a work in progress.

Have Fun!!

I am doing this for my children with the recipes and any stories about the recipes or the people. I remember the first time I fixed a dish that the kids loved and I told them that it was a favorite of your GreatGrandmothers too. They were surprised but thought it was cool that a recipe had been passed down through generations.

My mom's siblings (8 total) and their kids, and their kids, and their kids all made a cookbook a few years ago.

My grandma's siblings (12 total) did the same thing last year.

I use both of thesecook books more than any of my other ones.

:)Gosh yes I wish our older realtives would do this cause when they go they leave us hanging what better legacy to leave your children as they will remember you everytime they make your special dish.And as many of us well know alot of these recipes are not written down because its in their head so it disappears along with your loved one.Such a shame even if they leave a recipe its never as good as they made it but as close as you can get.

I'm in the process of collecting recipes for one. So far, it's only my sister and myself contributing. I have my mom's handwritten recipe book, but I have yet to go through that and make sure the recipes come out right. Mom would leave out ingredients sometimes! I think some of them were more of a reminder to her, rather than an all-out recipe.
I have yet to contact the aunts and cousins.

I put together a bunch of recipes for my cooking challenged friend back in Mobile. I emailed them to her, but I’ve never done a book.

What I want to know is, why doesn’t DC make a cookbook and sell it in the DC store along with those aprons!!!! There’s some GREAT stuff here!

I made a family favourite recipe book and gave it to my family and friends as a gift the year I was 60 years old.Actually my husband was very supportive of my project.It was a lot of work for few years of re trying,gathering and putting on the computer lots of old and new recipes.Then I brought to a publisher, had copies made at a very decent price.
I encourage anyone who is interested go ahead and do it; you have a feeling of accomplishment as well as leaving memories.

Back
Top Bottom