"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Fascinating old cookbooks

Hi Everyone,
Many years ago I went though my Granny's old cook-books and made a list of some frugal wartime dishes that interested me. Since then I've lost the books (to my dismay!) and forgotten the titles, and all I have left is some cryptic notes hinting at them. I really want to find those recipes and I wonder if any detectives here can help me find the names of these books?
Here are the only clues I've got:
Clue for Book #1: "Pears"
Some recipes in it: Mock Goose on Page 811, Mock Crab on page 813, Mock Omelet on Page 819
I thought this book might have been "Pears Family Cookbook" by Bee Nilson, so I ordered it from a second hand bookshop, but those recipes were not inside. (I live in Australia and this book was available here in Granny's time.)

Clue for Book #2: “Large Beeton 1925?”
Clearly this is an edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management, but I cannot find which one.
Some recipes in it: Mock Hare Soup p. 1170, Mock Turtle Soup p. 149 & 138, Mock Fish Patties p. 1178,

Clue for Book #3: “”Small Beeton 1888?”
This must be another edition of Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management, but again I cannot find it.
Some recipes in it: Mock Turtle Soup p. 90-91

Clue for Book #4: “Penguin”
I thought this might have been the “Penguin Cookery Book”, also by Bee Nilson, so I managed to find a copy but again, it turned out to be a false lead.
Some recipes in it: Mock Oyster Soup: p. 39, Mock Almond Paste, p. 612

Clue for Book #5 “English Cookery”
This turns out *not* to be “The English Cookery Book, Uniting Good Style with Economy”, Collected by A Committee of Ladies, ed. JH Walsh.1859. It’s not the nineteenth century “The English and Australian Cookery Book”, either.
Some recipes in it: Half-Pay Pudding p. 90, Nettle Beer p. 376, Roly Poly p. 105

Any help tracking down these fascinating old books will be GRATEFULLY received!
Mrs. B

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Radcliffe College For Women in Cambridge, Massachusetts has a library of cookbooks writen by women. Some of their books go back to the 15th Century. Perhaps they could help you.

www.radcliff.edu

www.radcliffe.eduwww.radcliffe.eduAsk a Schlesinger Librarian

The second reference should be of help to you. Radcliffe College is now a part of Harvard. Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Master Chef

I was wondering if the Pears reference might be a cooking brochure published by the Pears soap company. Many companies published small booklets with recipes and household hints.

I would urge you to check out Mrs Beeton online before spending more money. This website has a searchable data base of her recipes and hints.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management: www.mrsbeeton.com – Cookery, Recipies & Household Management

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks everyone! I just discovered the existence of "Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management" and I think it's a perfect gift for a friend of mine. I'll go browsing the recipes on the website.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

There is a website called Internet Archive (Free Books : Download & Streaming : Ebook and Texts Archive : Internet Archive) where you can search for digitized copies of old books that are no longer in print and not under copyright. There is even a link to Project Guttenberg there. I ran a search for Mrs Beeton and found these links -

The Book of Household Management : Mrs. Isabella Beeton : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The book of household management : Isabella Mary Beeton , Beeton (Isabella Mary ) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The Book of Household Management: Comprising Information for the Mistress, Housekeeper, Cook ... : Beeton (Isabella Mary ) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The cottage cook book : Beeton, Reginald. [from old catalog] : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Also, once the book is loaded you can text search inside some of them for key words, like Mock.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
There is a website called Internet Archive (Free Books : Download & Streaming : Ebook and Texts Archive : Internet Archive) where you can search for digitized copies of old books that are no longer in print and not under copyright. There is even a link to Project Guttenberg there. I ran a search for Mrs Beeton and found these links -

The Book of Household Management : Mrs. Isabella Beeton : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The book of household management : Isabella Mary Beeton , Beeton (Isabella Mary ) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The Book of Household Management: Comprising Information for the Mistress, Housekeeper, Cook ... : Beeton (Isabella Mary ) : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The cottage cook book : Beeton, Reginald. [from old catalog] : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Also, once the book is loaded you can text search inside some of them for key words, like Mock.
THANK YOU!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Wine Guy

Hard to believe this Isabella Beeton died at the age of 28, and from what I understand, started publishing her books at the age of 23 or 24. I just have to wonder how many of us today would accept someone of that age as an authority on household management and cooking.

Times sure have changed.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hard to believe this Isabella Beeton died at the age of 28, and from what I understand, started publishing her books at the age of 23 or 24. I just have to wonder how many of us today would accept someone of that age as an authority on household management and cooking.
Times sure have changed.
Emily Post and her granddaughter (who took over after she died) were both young for the etiquette rules of society. But those rules have changed so drastically. No longer is a written note of 'thank you' on your best stationary the norm. An e-mail will do. Except for wedding gifts and funerals. I still am in the old school though. Maybe someday I will join today's world.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Times sure have changed.
Erma Bambauer was a young society newlywed wife who couldn't cook. So along with some of her friends they decided to learn and write a cookbook as they went along. Tthrough trial and error you now have "The Joy Of Cooking."
Old 08-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone for your help! I now have a lot of reading and browsing to do...
Meanwhile if anyone comes up with any other clues please post them here!

Mrs B

Tags
cookbooks, other