"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Le Cordon Bleu cookbook,
'The Gournet Slow Cooker' by Lynn Alley,
'Get Saucy' by Grace Parisi
'Jamie's Dinners' and 'Naked Chef' by Jamie Oliver,
'Cooking in the Nude - Quickies' by Debbie & Steve Cornwell (Full of recipes to seduce your partner, with great names like 'Ceasar and Please Her'...OK, so I bought it for my husband to try and get him to share some of the cooking, but even the promise of seduction didn't work...)
'Traditional Northamptonshire Recipes' (so I don't forget my roots, and I don't have to keep calling my Mum....)
.....plus about 40 others...

Mostly though, I like to get my recipe's from online sources, one of my favourite websites being www.deliaonline.com - England's equivalent to Julia Childs.

Paint.

Old 07-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

my favorite is 'home cooking' cause i submitted my stuffed tuna steak recipe to a contest and it got printed.
no, wait, i like another one even better. my Grandma's (rest her soul) old, old cookbook. it's literally crumbling to pieces, but i flip through the pages very carefully and read it when i'm at my other house. i love another one she had, too. there are several cookbooks there i like to read.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

I love cookbooks...some of my favorites are "local" cookbooks. When I'm away from home, I always look for local church cookbooks, Junior League cookbooks, school cookbooks, etc. Usually lots of local flavor in those.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Master Chef

I, too, collect cookbooks and love buying old ones I pick up here & there. The cookbooks I most often use are Joy (I have two editions) and The Romagnoli's Table (Italian). For sheer laughter, The Bull Cook and Authentic Historical REcipes and Practices can't be beat. But I have several shelves full of cookbooks, not to mention a couple decades of Gourmet magazines. Cooking a new meal, Hubby and I will pull down at least three books/mags, consult them, then most of the time make up our own recipes, using them for guidelines (say, we'll like one ingredient from one recipe, another from another). Then we'll leave the books/magazines on a table, and while most people don't pick them up, some do, and conversation ensues. Friends sometimes borrow, and I've had great luck, all have always been returned, sometimes with apologies for splatters. I just laugh this off. It's a COOK book, not a museum piece, splatters are great. My favorite books fall open to my favorite recipes, and honestly, some of the books are just for reading and enjoying the pictures or concepts or background/cultural information.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #15
Master Chef

Oh, when I travel, rather than buying knick-knacks and collectables that will just gather dust, a cookbook is just the ticket. TO this end I have a cookbook in French (Quebecoise) that I pull out to challenge my little gray cells. Having been on the road for years, travelling through Louisiana a lot, I must have a half dozen Cajun cookbooks .... and seldom use them!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I have a collection of 'local' cookery books, generally written by the expat UK community or their partners who are native to the area. I have one I bought on Tuscan food, written in some cases in almost 'pidgin' English - 'put the beef steak to the fire'.... (sounds like the Spanish inquisition )

Stray, wild and feral cats are a perennial problem on the greek islands. The Greeks love their cats, but don't want to pay to have them neutered and then don't or won't feed the kittens... The British, being animal lovers, often set up cat and dog rescue charities (the locals think the expats are 'barking' mad!). The booklet produced for the charity on Crete has some charming 'gaffes'.

When I read these books, it brightens my day - but some of the cookery instructions are quite obscure, so the cooked results are often a complete surprise
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

hmm, cat souvlaki? cat-teki?

most of the new recipes i use come from the internet or local newspapers' food sections, but if i use cookbooks, my home base is fannie farmer's, reprint circa 1972. other one's i use are dom delouise's "eat this: it'll make you feel better", I & II; rachel ray's "30 minute meals" I & II; a few from emeril lagasse; "the sopranos cookbook"; and a cookbook from the wives auxilliary of the saddle brook, nj fire dept and emt's.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I enjoy the Southern Living cookbooks and the church and community cookbooks I've picked up here and there. and, of course all the recipes I collect on line. However, I DON'T ever loan any of my cookbooks. I will scan a copy of a recipe for someone, but loan my cookbook - NEVER!!!! I suppose I've overdone it with cookbooks though - I have an entire bookcase full and overflowing, but I never seem to get enough books or bookcases.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to nytxn Send a message via MSN to nytxn
I have one from Johnny Carrabba and Damian Mandola called "Ciao Y'all".

It's full of yummy stuff.

(It's a signed copy too)

Ron
aka: nytxn
nytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Got to love 'em!

The New Best Recipe from the editors of Cook's IllustratedI picked this up at Costco, and I've tried a couple of things, and so far, so good. I love reading about their trials - they tell you why something went wrong - why it was dry or overcooked or undercooked or the texture wasn't right. I loved reading the whole schpiel about finding the perfect macaroni & cheese recipe!

I also collect cook-books, just for the fun of reading them, and enjoy the local ones, too (church, school etc.),.

Sandyj