"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #21
Master Chef

Sandy, we have a couple of Cook's Illustrated cookbooks that we ordered online, and they are great! One is the grilling book, and the other is the vegetable one.
Thing being, when you order one, they start sending them to you for a "30 day free trial". If you open it to look at it, you have to pay shipping to return it. I know...I tried to send one back.
If you pay to join their website, you get a free subscription to their monthly magazine, which is very informative and interesting, but not worth the price (to me). I ordered one of "free two issue" deals, and then couldn't get them stopped and the bills kept coming. Pain in the neck!

Old 07-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Cookbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
The one I use the most is

BETTER HOMES AND GARDEN
NEW COOKBOOK
10TH EDITION.

I love my Jamie Oliver and my James Mcnair's though. They are fun to
read.

I also have 5 or 6 of the "cookshelf" books. They are pretty good.
And My NEW BASICS COOKBOOK and GREAT GOOD FOOD are also nice.

Oh heck I love all cook books.
For me, choosing a favourite cookbook is difficult but I have to say "at this moment" it is "Mary Ann's Gilligan's Island Cookbook that I got at a garage sale a few weeks ago for 50 cents.

I buy most of mine at thrift stores and garage sales and the thrill is seeing what I can get for the cheapest amount of money.

I am in the process of doing an inventory and know there are well over 400 books but won't have a clear number until inventory is finished. I have many BHG and Betty Crocker's. I just love them.

Collecting cookbooks is my passion.

Ruth

Old 07-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
I love cookbooks...some of my favorites are "local" cookbooks. When I'm away from home, I always look for local church cookbooks, Junior League cookbooks, school cookbooks, etc. Usually lots of local flavor in those.
i agree! those local cookbooks always have good, familiar recipes, some of which you've tasted before at social/family events. i love when several people send in recipes for the same thing, i love seeing the differences between thier recipes.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
Master Chef

One of my favorites is my Grandma Snarr's "Baptist Cookbook". We are not Baptist, but they do have the prettiest hymns and the best cookbooks.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:47 AM   #25
Senior Cook

mine would be stephanie alexanders cooks companion - i bought it in high school, the first cook book i bought....
Old 08-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #26
Senior Cook

My all time favorite has to be The Fannie Farmer cookbook. This was the first cookbook I bought in paperback when a newlywed and have always found it to cover just about everything. Well, lo these many, many years later, this poor little paperback became brittle so I recently purchased a new edition off eBay. Rec'd it just last week and it's about twice the number of pages as the one I've been using. I like the bits of background info she gives on so many of the recipe ingredients and also offers up alternatives to some of the ingredients in recipes. I have lots of other cookbooks, but this one, I feel, absolutely has to be in everyone's cookbook library. I gave one to my new daughter-in-law years and years ago and she loves it as well. I'm now on an eBay search for a cookbook titled "The Wise Guy Cookbook", but haven't had any luck finding it. I'm waiting receipt of a Joy of Cooking book, purchased based on recommendations from some of you as to it's usefullness.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #27
Master Chef

I too am an avid cookbook collector. Like others I find it hard to choose my absolute favorite. I love curling up on the couch on a rainy day and thumbing through them for inspiration. I may not think every thing in each sounds delicious but there's enough in each one of them to get my mouth watering. The one that I seem to reach for lately though is my All American Cookbook. I discovered this when one of my older brothers came down for Thanksgiving to help me cook dinner and he brought his addition. I was so happy to find a chop suey recipe in it that showed ingredients that my deceased mother used in her recipe. It gave me the baseline for me to add additional items I know mom used and I'm thrilled to finally be able to make chop suey like my mom used to.......boy I sure missed that. So thats one I will hang onto forever.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #28
Senior Cook

i've got peter reinhart's break baker's apprentice & it's real interesting. i've got on order "how baking works" by paula figoli (a food scientist who "invented" craisins for ocean spray). it's more about the how/why of baking rather than a book of recipes. i read a review that said it's got info like what (for example) the effect of doubling the sugar would have on the colour, taste texture, etc of a dough/bread. there's a chapter on everything involved in bread like wheat, gluten, leavening agents, nuts/berries, & many other things. & at the end of each chapter there are review questions and also experiments to try in the kitchen! (or bakery)

other books on my list:
the king arthur flour's baker's companion
the taste of bread -- raymond calvel
special & decorative breads -- alain couet
special & decorative breads -- roland bilheux
on baking: a textbook of baking & pastry fundamentals -- sarah labensky
on cooking: techniques from expert chefs -- sarah labensky
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I love better homes and garden cook book, use it alot, I also subscribe to the betty crocker magazine,and buy alot of the cooking mags. they have on display at the grocery store...
Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Which year of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook should one be on the lookout for? Also, does Leon's Italian Cookbook from 1994 (which I think is the last version) have the same recipes from the earlier publications?