"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have also made my own recipe book. I printed the recipes on both sides of card stock, enclosed them in poly covers, and put them in a loose leaf notebook so I can add to it whenever I wish. This was my Christmas present for my children a few years ago, and I send them new packets of pages every year now.

Here's an example of one of the pages...
Constance, I love how you made your own recipe book. I would love to do this myself. Would you mind telling me how you did it? Do you have some kind of recipe cd/program on your computer that helped you design the page? How did you get the picture on the page as well. I think my family would flip if I did something like this for them for Christmas or maybe a mother's day gift.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

My favorite's are

The Professional Chef
Professional Baking
Essentials of Italian cooking
On Cooking
James Beard's American Cookery

"The weak ones fall, the strong carry on"
-Tom Petty-
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I have expressed this about myself before, that I'm not much for following recipes, and instead love to make my own creations. There have been plenty of times though, where I had a lack of inspiration and cookbooks are a great place to look for some ideas. I like the Better Homes and Gardens, but even more than that I like these huge ethnic cookbooks that are always on the discount racks at my local Borders or Barnes and Noble. They are about 200 page books, with photos, and they have them for every style of cooking imaginable.

Better Homes and Gardens is also a good place to go to read about different techniques you might be unfamiliar with. Everyone remember the first time they melted chocolate and it turned hard as a rock? LOL
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Better Homes and Garden. 10th Edition is a good one....

come to think of it, there's few cookbooks i don't like

i bought the softback edition of The Joy of Cooking, and it fell apart

i collect them more than use them

i like regional cookbooks, too

there was one called Cooking with Coca-Cola that i liked to read but not use for some reason
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Another great book is "Culinary Artistry" by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. It's not a recipe book, more like a text book (though it does have recipes) that teaches flavour combining, why certain foods match and how to bring a plate together. It is geared towards restaurant cooks and chefs (there are sections on menu designs and menu composing) but the compiled lists of mains ingredients and herbs and veggies and starches are fantastic.

Andrew and KLaren also wrote 'Becoming a Chef' and 'Dining Out' , but I have not read either.

J
Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Another great book is "Culinary Artistry" by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. It's not a recipe book, more like a text book (though it does have recipes) that teaches flavour combining, why certain foods match and how to bring a plate together. It is geared towards restaurant cooks and chefs (there are sections on menu designs and menu composing) but the compiled lists of mains ingredients and herbs and veggies and starches are fantastic.

Andrew and KLaren also wrote 'Becoming a Chef' and 'Dining Out' , but I have not read either.

J
Did they ever update that book or is the 1996 version still being printed.

I also recommend this book, although some of the info and flavor combinations are a bit dated. It is still a very good starting point and reference tool though.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

My very favorite cookbook is the Joy of Cooking. It has all your major old favorites in it and it is the one my mother always had in the house growing up. I also love this middle eastern cookbook that I have. It is beat up and dog earred and I wish I could get another copy but it is very expensive on the secondary market and it isn't in print anymore. I also love 2 new cookbooks by Tyler Florence.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella
Constance, I love how you made your own recipe book. I would love to do this myself. Would you mind telling me how you did it? Do you have some kind of recipe cd/program on your computer that helped you design the page? How did you get the picture on the page as well. I think my family would flip if I did something like this for them for Christmas or maybe a mother's day gift.

Thanks for any help.
Sorry I havn't answered this, Pax (peace). It's late tonight for me, but I'll be back tomorrow and answer any of your questions.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #39
Master Chef

I've been collecting cookbooks for many years now & have more than a couple hundred of them. Ranging from the coffee-table types (like the "Beautiful" series) to old old ones with recipes on how to roast raccoons & groundhogs - lol!!

I can settle in & read a cookbook like a good novel & make a habit of scouring 2nd-hand bookshops & online sources for new acquisitions.

As far as my basic day-to-day favorites, it's hard to choose because it depends on what I'm planning to cook. However, the ones I seem to pick up the most are The Victory Garden cookbooks - both the strictly vegetable one & the seafood/vegetable one; the new Joy of Cooking; the big basic Martha Stewart volume; all of the 3 "Vegetarian Epicure" volumes; Julia Child's "The Way To Cook"; Irene Kuo's "The Key To Chinese Cooking"; various Indian cuisine cookbooks. Gee, the list is really endless.

I've also developed quite a few of my own recipes that I have stored on my computer & on disc.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #40
Head Chef

If there is one cookbook I would never let go, and we own a couple of hundred, it is Escoffier.

It is not something you go to and follow recipes, but I love to read it.

It taught me how to make stock and sauces (although I have other books on the subject).

If I had to name a second favorite it would be James Beard's Theory and Practice of Good Cooking which I found in an obscure little shop in Key West while on vacation many years ago.