"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Favorite Cookbooks

great thread/topic

I really like the new Joy of Cooking. It is a great place to start. I also like Essentials of Cooking by James Petersen, technique as well as great recipes.

I have a growing collection including several Julia Child, the Way to Cook is a good one, Saveur collection, Dutch Oven cooking, and many regional and international books. The history culture recipes techniques etc...very interesting.

I will be getting the Gourmet book as soon as it goes on special.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I like old cookbooks (1950's and earlier) that I find at estate sales and used book stores. They are so wonderful! I also like most things Reiman puts out (the Taste of Home series, etc) I love to browse through all of James McNair's books, as they are not only delicious, the photos are amazing.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Any recipe from one of Nick Nairn's books, ditto Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson, Elizabeth David, Sophie Grigson, Sue Lawrence and Claire MacDonald.

One of my most favourite books is The Scots Kitchen by F.Marian MacNeill - I have a first edition (present from my granny, who bought it when it was new in 1929!) and a newer edition as I was scared the old one would fall to bits. It's a really interesting work, part history, part cookbook. I think it's amazing that it is still available today.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Master Chef

I love recipe books, new and old, and have quite a collection.
I have three editions of Joy of Cooking, one from the early 40's that belonged to my great-grandmother, one from the mid-60's from which I learned to cook, and one from the 90's.
I have my Grandma White's Amish Brethren Cookbook, with handwritten notes. One page is marked with a card my daddy made her for Mother's Day when he was in the 4th grade.
My aunt worked in the Betty Crocker test kitchens when she got out of college, helping to put together their first cookbook, and I have her copy. I have lots of other old family cookbooks as well.
Another recipe book that helped me learn to cook was the Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School book. Recently I bought the new version by Marion Cunningham on ebay, and was so delighted with it that I ordered a paper back version for my daughter. I've also gotten several Julia Child cookbooks from there, an old Lady's Home Journal Cookbook, and have a Paul Prudhomme one on the way.
A friend who is moving gave me his New York Times Cookbook, which has some great classic recipes, and his Leone's Italian Cookbook, a real treasure.
We have a couple of the Cook's Illustrated cookbooks, and they are excellent. The Southern Living cookbooks also have a lot of good recipes.
Except for baking or making certain sauces, I seldom follow a recipe exactly, but by reading them I get lots of ideas for my own cooking.

I have also made my own recipe book. I printed the recipes on both sides of card stock, enclosed them in poly covers, and put them in a loose leaf notebook so I can add to it whenever I wish. This was my Christmas present for my children a few years ago, and I send them new packets of pages every year now.

Here's an example of one of the pages...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chickenand+rolleddumplings reduced.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	210  
Old 07-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
The one I use the most is

BETTER HOMES AND GARDEN
NEW COOKBOOK
10TH EDITION.

I love my Jamie Oliver and my James Mcnair's though. They are fun to
read.

I also have 5 or 6 of the "cookshelf" books. They are pretty good.
And My NEW BASICS COOKBOOK and GREAT GOOD FOOD are also nice.

Oh heck I love all cook books.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I love recipe books, new and old, and have quite a collection.
I have three editions of Joy of Cooking, one from the early 40's that belonged to my great-grandmother, one from the mid-60's from which I learned to cook, and one from the 90's.
I have my Grandma White's Amish Brethren Cookbook, with handwritten notes. One page is marked with a card my daddy made her for Mother's Day when he was in the 4th grade.
My aunt worked in the Betty Crocker test kitchens when she got out of college, helping to put together their first cookbook, and I have her copy. I have lots of other old family cookbooks as well.
Another recipe book that helped me learn to cook was the Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School book. Recently I bought the new version by Marion Cunningham on ebay, and was so delighted with it that I ordered a paper back version for my daughter. I've also gotten several Julia Child cookbooks from there, an old Lady's Home Journal Cookbook, and have a Paul Prudhomme one on the way.
A friend who is moving gave me his New York Times Cookbook, which has some great classic recipes, and his Leone's Italian Cookbook, a real treasure.
We have a couple of the Cook's Illustrated cookbooks, and they are excellent. The Southern Living cookbooks also have a lot of good recipes.
Except for baking or making certain sauces, I seldom follow a recipe exactly, but by reading them I get lots of ideas for my own cooking.

I have also made my own recipe book. I printed the recipes on both sides of card stock, enclosed them in poly covers, and put them in a loose leaf notebook so I can add to it whenever I wish. This was my Christmas present for my children a few years ago, and I send them new packets of pages every year now.

Here's an example of one of the pages...
Constance you mentioned Leone's cookbook, do you have Leone's Italian Cookbook? I do, I've learned so much from this book..Much to my m-i-l's dismay I must add.. She was Genovese so the recipes with salt pork, were a big no no to her.. But I found the book to be a wealth of information to a new cook way back then...
kadesma
Thanks for reminding me...
Old 07-09-2005, 03:45 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I learned a ton about foods in these two books, from preperation to flavor combinations.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #8
Master Chef

Kadesma, I do have that book, and I love it.
We have a lot of people in our area of Italian descent who came here in the 40's to work in the coal mines. When I decided to find a "real authentic" spaghetti sauce recipe, I found that no two women I asked had the same way of making it.

Ironchef, I'll watch for the French Laundry Cookbook on ebay.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Ironchef,

I've seen Charlie Trotter on tv and I've heard of his cookbook as well as French Laundry..Now I've just got to got pick up both of them.. Of course for me cookbooks are better than novels
kadesma
Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Kadesma, I do have that book, and I love it.
We have a lot of people in our area of Italian descent who came here in the 40's to work in the coal mines. When I decided to find a "real authentic" spaghetti sauce recipe, I found that no two women I asked had the same way of making it.

Ironchef, I'll watch for the French Laundry Cookbook on ebay.
That is so tru Constance, but, I feel that is what makes Italian or any ethnic food so interesting. This is part of the reason I don't order a red Italian sauce when we eat out, they just don't seem to get that rich brown color that we get from ours..
kadesma