"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Favorite Julia Child Cookbook?

I know a lot of them are good, but if you could chose just ONE, which ONE would it be?

Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #2

The Way to Cook, followed swiftly by Mastering the Art of French Cooking I & II.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I also like Mastering the Art of french Cooking and the newer book she wrote with Jacques Pepin, Cooking at Home.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Mastering.

It is one of the three core books that every serious (amateur) chef should have.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
Mastering.

It is one of the three core books that every serious (amateur) chef should have.
And the other two are?
Old 12-23-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Mastering, definitely, for 'serious' learning. But just for fun, the 'Jacques and Julia' book is a hoot! And the recipes ain't bad, either!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Master Chef

I've got to go with choclatechef on this, if you were going to limit yourself to only one of Julia's books - "The Way to Cook" would be my pick. But, without the "Art of French Cooking I & II" it's kind of like buying only the "A" volume of an encyclopedia ...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
Sous Chef

sooo hard to choose...she set a standard for recipe books that is seldom equaled even today

Vol I and II are my choice also - I can tell b/c, of all the cookbooks I have, they are the ones that are seriously falling apart, they've been used so often.

Fortunately, my library has most of the cookbooks she authored. I recently returned Baking with Julia after scanning about 2/3 of the book into my 'puter.

(PS I just love the NY Public Library - you can search and reserve books on-line and they email you when it's available at your local branch. One small area where my tax dollars really work for me!)
Old 07-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

i also agree with ChocolateChef and Michael in FW. If only one go with Way To Cook. why? more adaptable to our individuality dictated by what we have and product availability. THe mastering books are real style and technique texts.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

I have "Mastering", but truth to tell, the book I pick up and use more often is the Pepin/Child book. More general, but more accessible. I have easily a couple hundred cookbooks upstairs, then a sideboard in the dining room (it is an old house, the stairs between the two are those between a maid's room and what was probably once the kitchen, the sideboard put in during the past century). The sideboard has "Joy" on it always, then anything from a few to a dozen cookbooks that I most recently used. The Child/Pepin book is there most of all the other cookbooks/magazines.