Favorite non recipe cookbook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garlicjosh

Senior Cook
Cookbooks are great and amazing and I mostly use mine to get ideas of what i want to eat then they go back on the shelf while I concoct the dish my way...anyway (enough of my rambling)

Any of you pick up cooking/ food themed books?
examples: On Food And Cooking, Cookwise/bakewise..books about the history of spices...jazz like that

was just wondering if you had any favorites

Mine:

On Food And Cooking
Cookwise
Cooking For Geeks
Spices

Cookbooks are great and amazing and I mostly use mine to get ideas of what i want to eat then they go back on the shelf while I concoct the dish my way...anyway (enough of my rambling)

Any of you pick up cooking/ food themed books?
examples: On Food And Cooking, Cookwise/bakewise..books about the history of spices...jazz like that

was just wondering if you had any favorites

Mine:

On Food And Cooking
Cookwise
Cooking For Geeks
Spices

Not exactly a cookbook, but I found a Bisquick Notebook and in it were piles of 6 recipe card sheets. I took them all apart and sorted through them for a couple of days until I had the ones that inspired me the most. I returned the notebook and the rest of the cards and newsletters back to our library for others to pick through.

This stack of recipes is maybe 50 of recipes that inspire me every time I look at them.

DC keeps me so inspired with great cooking ideas, I haven't gone through those recipes in awhile.:chef:

Anything by MFK Fisher and Jeffry Steingarten. Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.

How about including some great food movies?

Well, Julie and Julia comes to mind right away.
As for books I have Grandmother's Kitchen
wisdom (Over 10001 Solutions to Common Kitchen Problems.) By Dr. Myles H. Bader

I found an old book at a second hand shop years ago called Food Theory and Applications. It is a text book, but it covers tons of stuff. I pull it down every so often and can't believe how interesting it is.

I found an old book at a second hand shop years ago called Food Theory and Applications. It is a text book, but it covers tons of stuff. I pull it down every so often and can't believe how interesting it is.

i might have to look into that...sounds like right around my area of interest.

Oh, Dearie Me, you're going to challenge my little gray cells. I will get on line to get the names of the movies! Right off the top of my head I can think of three, but cannot for the life of me remember their titles! One was about ....well, I'll go on line and come back later. There are several, and some of them can inspire dinner parties!

OK, here are two. "Eat Drink, Man Woman" and "Babette's feast" I wish my brain worked better. There is also an Italian-American one and a Mexican one. All of them center on food and recipes.

Bookwise, Williams-Sonoma's Tools & Techniques, and Le Cordon Bleu The Cooks' Bible. Oh my gosh how happy I was when I found those two books at my local library. I have been trying to track down copies of both to buy (within price range of course) but currently I'm milking my library for all its supply is worth :LOL:

I feel like I'm the only one who was let down by Julie & Julia as a cooking film. Utterly adored Merryl Streep's parts, but despite being a total fan of Amy Adams, her character bugged the absolute heck out of me ~_~.

Not necessarily a cooking film per say, but anything related to the Muppets' Swedish Chef... his methods for making chocolate mousse and donuts are truly revolutionary :ROFLMAO:

but despite being a total fan of Amy Adams, her character bugged the absolute heck out of me ~_~.

Not necessarily a cooking film per say, but anything related to the Muppets' Swedish Chef... his methods for making chocolate mousse and donuts are truly revolutionary :ROFLMAO:

Do documentaries count?

Ratatouille is awesome btw!!!

I fully agree..she bothered me as well..but as a whole the movie was done well on many levels. Swedish Chef is one of the greatest...things...to ever be invented. I truly hold him partially responsible for my love of food today.
Documentaries totally count, but most of the food Docs. I have watched have been about GMO and the current state of grocery store food...I find them rather annoying.

Chocolat, Delicatessen, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, No Reservations, Tampopo, Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? Dumplings, Feast at Midnight, Tortilla Soup, Big Night, Eat,Drink, Man, Woman. Stick a fork in me...I'm done. The last one isn't a movie, that's just me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom