"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Head Chef
I receive the Cooking Club magazine " Cooking Pleasures " and Food and Family by Kraft. Really don't care for the real fancy cooking mags.

thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Cook's Country is very good. Paula Deen's magazine is great, too. I buy a lot of Reiman Publications (Taste of Home, etc.) as yearbooks at the end of the year - the books contain all of the recipes from the past years' magazines. I do the same with Cook's Illustrated.
And I buy a lot of the little cooking magazines that are sold at the check out - Pillsbury & Betty Crocker, mostly, along with anything that concentrates on appetizers!

I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Gourmet, Bon Appetit and Cuccina Italiana. My (ex) husband ordered something recently that gave him three free magazine subscriptions. He signed me up for Food &Wine and one other wine mag. I get a couple of trade mags at work, too.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #14
Head Chef
SHPJ4, We have Borders here in Fl., and I have been to one in Maryland and another in Virginia. Guess they are pretty much all over.

I don't subscribe to any food magazines, but do get Martha Stewart's Living and Southern Living as well as Good Housekeeping. I get the Krafts Food Magazine as well, but there are (of course) too many high fat and high carb recipes in it for me.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
Head Chef
The only one I still subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated; I like the fact that they accept no advertising, so I feel like the reviews may be less biased. Their recipes tend to be tailored to New Englander's taste buds, but that can always be adjusted. I used to get Gourmet but, as others have pointed out, they have gotten too snooty for my taste. When I see it on the shelf, I like to grab La Cucina Italiana for their ideas using fresh, Mediterranean style veggies.
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Another vote for Cook's Illustrated but my favorite is Fine Cooking. Their recipes are always GREAT. They include basics and interesting recipes and unlike other mags (Gourmet, Bon Apettit), I think they actually test the recipes.
Food Inventors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #17
Master Chef
I, too, am giving up my subscription for Gourmet after 20 yrs. It simply has moved out of my lifestyle -- it seems that it's for the rich & famous -- mostly about a "resort" lifestyle or "my 300 year old farm house in Tuscany." I like Saveur more for cultural reading than recipes.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef
cooks Illustrated and kitchen and cook ... no adds, great articles. recipes, etc.

I was given gourmet and have enjoyed it, more for tourism artcles on places than for recipes ... I have the 1000page plus cookbook with an index...I'm gonna thumb thru old magazines in hopes of finding a recipe???

I have also gotten trials of many others that I won't renew. But I may do a year of the two that started this thread Saveur and ArtCulinair...sounds interesting.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Since I get a professional discount when ordering them I get bombarded by magazines monthy. I guess I would start with Saveur - I like the way they check out techniques and restaurants from around the globe, Gourmet - for home use, Food Art - to keep up-todate on trends, Plate - because I enjoy seeing what my competition is up to, Restaurant Hospitality - because of their numerous articles on trends and how to start up restaurant, The Culinary Review (ACF Sponsored) - great stories and whats happening in the American Culinary Federation and the list goes on. Some months I can't even get through an edition before the next months shows up.
Chef Mark
Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #20
Sous Chef
I think I've gotten Bon Appetite for over 30 years. Now I also get Saveur, Cuisine at Home, Cooking Pleasures, Food Arts, and the Kraft magazine. I also rotate Chile Pepper, Intermettzo, Cuccinia Italiana. There are 4 or 5 more I'd love to get - but living on a boat makes it really hard. There's no place to keep them.

I'm just lookin' for my "cheese"!
Harborwitch is offline   Reply With Quote