"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #31
Master Chef

I don't remember where I posted my "problem" of not wanting to throw away 20 years of Gourmet and 5 of Saveur, but lacking the storage space for them. I didn't want the trouble of ebay-ing them. Well, at my Christmas party, one acquaintance who I didn't know was a gourmet cook just was thrilled. He's a Gourmet collector and had never seen Saveur (I wish I'd have known that when I renewed, because they had a 2 for 1 special and I simply knew no one who'd really like them!). SO one day he showed up and carted the entire collection away to fill in his collection, along with promises to cook from them for us and to research any recipes should I want one, and I can "visit" them any time I wish to! Happy Ending!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
Cook

We subscribe to Fine Cooking, Cook's Illustrated and John Thorne's Simple Cooking newsletter. We have complete runs of the first two filed upstairs in the book room. Sadly, I can't remember the last time either of us looked at any of the back issues.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM   #33
Head Chef

I'm in trouble. I ordered 2 samples after doing some research. Cuisine at home and Cooks Illustrated. My goal was to only pick one to order for the year.
I got my cuisine at home sample magazine and it's GREAT. What if I like the Cooks Illustrated one just as much. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I haven't gotten that sample yet.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Glad you're enjoying your Cuisine at home. Cook's Illustrated is also a wonderful publication but a little different from what you just received. I would say it's a bit more high-end and more scholarly, but very, very good, too. I subscribe to both of them and like them for what they each offer.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I, too, am giving up my subscription for Gourmet after 20 yrs. It simply has moved out of my lifestyle -- it seems that it's for the rich & famous -- mostly about a "resort" lifestyle or "my 300 year old farm house in Tuscany." I like Saveur more for cultural reading than recipes.
Gave up my Gourmet for the same reason, Claire, just too high falutin' for me. I'm feeling the same way about Saveur now, too. NOT renewing Cooking Light, either (so nice of them to throw in a recipe or two with all those ads!). Still love Cuisine at Home, Cooks Illustrated and for the time being, Cooking with Paula Deen because it has a lot useful info in it (gee, maybe that's why it has so few ads!).
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #36
Master Chef

I think maybe that at a certain age and a certain number of years of cooking, the magazines lose their usefulness. I've got a few hundred cookbooks, I have you guys and gals. I have a large network of friends across the country. So the magazines just pile up. This isn't just cooking mags, but all kinds. There's just very little that is new. I looked at magazines that were supposed to be geared toward older, even heavier, women. What I found was the cover had the fashion models who helped lead me to eating disorders on the covers, telling me how to deal with that awful extra 5 lbs. Huh? 5 lbs is what happened in my 30s, I (and those models) are now in my 50s. EVERY magazine seems to just be rehashing stuff I learned in my 30s. One laugh was that I didn't renew Smithsonian, and two months later they featured my home town! But for newbies, I think they, especially ones like cooks illustrated, are marvelous. And 'though I've said I no longer do "Gourmet", it doesn't mean it is a bad mag. I think if you are, as we all once were, in your late teens, early 20s, you need some inspiration to save your money and see places and eat foods you aren't likely to find in your town or neighborhood. When I started Gourmet, I was quite young, and I did wind up seeing some of the places they featured, and it thrilled me. I don't know if I will travel again (we keep saying, yes, when our sorry *** old dog dies), but it was a thrill to see the places we went in the mags, or see them after we got home. So go for it!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #37
Master Chef

I both agree & disagree with Claire. Maybe because I have recipes I've been using from magazines like Gourmet & Bon Appetit for decades now that still work & many of which are above & beyond their "supposed" improvement recipes these days.

I still enjoy Savuer & Eating Well. I find the articles really interesting without the usual snobby atmosphere that Gourmet has now taken (I stopped buying Gourmet years ago for that reason). It's so unfortunate that Gourmet decided to center on hotels & travel rather than food. I can't help but feel it will lead to their ultimate downfall. Yes, many many people still travel, but it's also a fact that international travel has come down many pegs recently. If the folks at Gourmet had half a brain, they'd realize this & start focusing on more local food issues.

I find Saveur really down to earth. The articles are interesting & the recipes are exotic yet doable, regardless of where you live. I love the fact that for any "exotic" ingredient you might not be able to find locally, they give you online sources. Many cooking mags can't be bothered with that sort of customer service.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Claire and BreezyCooking you raise good points and of course everyone needs to find what suits their needs and interests. When I opened my July issue of Saveur last week the first page (well, two pages, actually) was an ad for a luxury car--same goes for the back cover. Those things just seem kind of out of place to me in a mag that invites me to "Savor a World of Authentic Cuisine." (The rest of the issue was good, though).
Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You bring up a pet peeve of mine, foodstorm. Whenever I receive/buy a new magazine, I "peel" it. In other words, I tear out all the pages that have ads on both sides of the page. It's amazing what little is left of a magazine once I do that.

I can't stand all the visual "noise" the ads create. And, you'd think the publishers were subsidized by drug companies by all the prescription drug ads that are in magazines these days.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #40
Senior Cook

[quote=Katie E]You bring up a pet peeve of mine, foodstorm. Whenever I receive/buy a new magazine, I "peel" it. In other words, I tear out all the pages that have ads on both sides of the page. It's amazing what little is left of a magazine once I do that.[/quote

Hah, wish we could peel them ALL, but that'd leave us with only 40-50% of a mag. That's awful, isn't it?
Just opened up July Bon Appetit. Car ad pages 1-2-3-4 (it's a FOLD-out ad, oh joy!), and another on the back cover.

I'm going to start peeling right now, KatieE! Thanks for the great idea!