Food Magazines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seven S

Senior Cook
N of the Equator, W of the Greenwich Meridian
Would like to know what food magazines do you subscribe to or purchase regularly and why - that is, what is it about that magazine that make it stand out for you.

i like Saveur for its in-depth of coverage of recipes, ingredients, regions and authenticity

i like Art Culinaire because it shows artistic presentations and recipe elaborations and continually cover world's best chefs

Seven, I used to get Food & Wine and Gourmet, and read Saveur in my sister's bathroom. Don't care for any of them anymore much.

Too many artsy photos of well-dressed people and dishes with that perfect grain of sea salt or the the oh-so-preciously turned out sliver of pear or pepper (OK, food stylists have to live).

I'm admittedly more of a home cook and don't need to see what the latest trend is in Portugal or wherever. To those of you with more sophisticated palates, I say go ahead on, but it's usually not for me.

Eight. I'm a food writer, so I can use them as part of my library and as a source of reference. However, I'm also an accomplished cook and use them when I cook, too.

At present, I think my two favorites are Cook's Illustrated and Kitchen & Cook, which is a publication of The Culinary Institute of America. I like the first one because it has regular comparisons/reviews of cookware and food items. I don't always agree with their assessments, but I appreciate their thorough testing.

The second one is an excellent source of tecnical information. The photographs are fabulous. It's the most expensive of any of my mags. About $40 for six issues per year, with no editor's rate.

Katie:)

food magazine

I have only 1 and that is Cooks Illustrated which I read every word from front to back and even more if I could. It is down to earth with their recipes their reviews and their recommendations. I truly love it

I read Cooks Country, Cooks Illustrated, Taste of Home, Gourmet and Bon Appetite. I really use recipes from the first three most of the time.:rolleyes:

I take CuisineAtHome [my favorite], Cook's Illustrated, Taste of Home, and Penzey's ONE...I also get Kraft's free magazine. I like the recipes in Cook's Illustrated, but sometimes get frustrated with the long article on how they got there. Most of my better new recipes come from CuisineAtHome. Years ago there was a Cuisine magazine that was awesome, but they went belly up and filled the rest of the subscription with Gourmet...if you don't mind about 70% of the pages as ads and 20% more of recipes the average homemaker wouldn't cook, it's a good magazine:rolleyes:

My favorite is "Cooks Illustrated" but most of the time when I want some new receipes I go to a bookstore called Borders. They have every magazine available as well as a large assortment of cook books.

I know they are in California but not so sure where else.

Happy receipe hunting.

I've been getting Saveur since it's very first issue years ago. Terrific recipes that are "doable", very interesting reading of different locales without sounding snooty, & great little tidbits tossed in here & there. Except for a few small lapses in renewals, I probably have nearly every single issue, & enjoy rereading them - they're almost like favorite cookbooks. I've saved them all.

I also get Eating Well, which I also really enjoy. They not only have new & innovative recipes geared to healthy eating, but reinvented old classics as well - all using just good honest simple ingredients.

I used to get Cuisine At Home, Bon Appetit, & Gourmet, but allowed those subscriptions to lapse. Cuisine At Home I might still renew - am up in the air about that one. Bon Appetit just started to bore me, & they seemed to have a preponderance of meat recipes which, since my husband doesn't eat red meat, I never used. Gourmet is one that I don't miss at all. Years & years ago in its heyday it was almost like Saveur in many ways - actually more like a cross between Saveur & The New Yorker. But in the past decade it's disintegrated into nothing more than 50% ads & 50% travelogue with a few recipes thrown in. Of course, if you're a world traveler who stays in lots of luxury hotels, etc., it might be your cup of tea, but I just wasn't interested in that. In addition, I also found Gourmet's writing turning snootier & snootier as the years passed - lol!!

Cook's Country is very good. Paula Deen's magazine is great, too. I buy a lot of Reiman Publications (Taste of Home, etc.) as yearbooks at the end of the year - the books contain all of the recipes from the past years' magazines. I do the same with Cook's Illustrated.
And I buy a lot of the little cooking magazines that are sold at the check out - Pillsbury & Betty Crocker, mostly, along with anything that concentrates on appetizers!

Gourmet, Bon Appetit and Cuccina Italiana. My (ex) husband ordered something recently that gave him three free magazine subscriptions. He signed me up for Food &Wine and one other wine mag. I get a couple of trade mags at work, too.

SHPJ4, We have Borders here in Fl., and I have been to one in Maryland and another in Virginia. Guess they are pretty much all over.

I don't subscribe to any food magazines, but do get Martha Stewart's Living and Southern Living as well as Good Housekeeping. I get the Krafts Food Magazine as well, but there are (of course) too many high fat and high carb recipes in it for me.

The only one I still subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated; I like the fact that they accept no advertising, so I feel like the reviews may be less biased. Their recipes tend to be tailored to New Englander's taste buds, but that can always be adjusted. I used to get Gourmet but, as others have pointed out, they have gotten too snooty for my taste. When I see it on the shelf, I like to grab La Cucina Italiana for their ideas using fresh, Mediterranean style veggies.

Another vote for Cook's Illustrated but my favorite is Fine Cooking. Their recipes are always GREAT. They include basics and interesting recipes and unlike other mags (Gourmet, Bon Apettit), I think they actually test the recipes.

I, too, am giving up my subscription for Gourmet after 20 yrs. It simply has moved out of my lifestyle -- it seems that it's for the rich & famous -- mostly about a "resort" lifestyle or "my 300 year old farm house in Tuscany." I like Saveur more for cultural reading than recipes.

cooks Illustrated and kitchen and cook ... no adds, great articles. recipes, etc.

I was given gourmet and have enjoyed it, more for tourism artcles on places than for recipes ... I have the 1000page plus cookbook with an index...I'm gonna thumb thru old magazines in hopes of finding a recipe???

I have also gotten trials of many others that I won't renew. But I may do a year of the two that started this thread Saveur and ArtCulinair...sounds interesting.

Since I get a professional discount when ordering them I get bombarded by magazines monthy. I guess I would start with Saveur - I like the way they check out techniques and restaurants from around the globe, Gourmet - for home use, Food Art - to keep up-todate on trends, Plate - because I enjoy seeing what my competition is up to, Restaurant Hospitality - because of their numerous articles on trends and how to start up restaurant, The Culinary Review (ACF Sponsored) - great stories and whats happening in the American Culinary Federation and the list goes on. Some months I can't even get through an edition before the next months shows up.
Chef Mark
chefskills101.com

I think I've gotten Bon Appetite for over 30 years. Now I also get Saveur, Cuisine at Home, Cooking Pleasures, Food Arts, and the Kraft magazine. I also rotate Chile Pepper, Intermettzo, Cuccinia Italiana. There are 4 or 5 more I'd love to get - but living on a boat makes it really hard. There's no place to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom