French Home Cooking - Nostalgic Cookbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookNow

Cook
I've recently noticed that an english version of "I Know How to Cook" (Je sais cuisiner) by Ginette Mathiot has been released here in the US and in the UK. From what I gather, she taught three generations how to cook in France and was quite the authority on French home cooking. "Je sais cuisiner was her definitive, most comprehensive work and brought together recipes for every classic French dish."

After leafing through the book at Borders, I was interested in any opinions on this forum. I found a couple of consumer reviews posted on Amazon, and they seem favorable but I'm interested in other opinions as well.
(Btw, it's less expensive on Amazon than through Borders-- no surprise there.):dry:

Attachments

• BookCover.pdf
    219.4 KB · Views: 133
Never heard of this cookbook before, but now I am interested! I love cookbooks!

Well, I ended up ordering it yesterday. The Borders price was nearly DOUBLE what amazon was offering (+ free shipping!), so I couldn't resist.

This book offers home cooking in lieu of restaurant-style recipes; I've got lots of the fancier-style french cookbooks already and wanted to try some simpler, easier versions of French cooking when time is an issue.

As hokey as it may seem, one small thing about "I Know How to Cook" that grabbed me were tables indicating what meats, poultry, and produce are in season at what time of year, as an indicator of what will be freshest while shopping. To base my recipe selections upon the freshest ingredients available is such a simple maxim that I tend to forget it sometimes!:huh:

Back
Top Bottom