"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I really enjoy community cookbooks that give a feel for the area they are from. I agree the Junior League ones are great too. I have had successes with recipes I've tried from Community and Church cookbooks. You do sometimes run across the same recipes in several from an area though. I have several Home EC cookbooks as well and have enjoyed cooking and getting recipe ideas from them. I have just over a thousand cookbooks. I guess you could say I'm a cookbook addict.

southerncooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef
In my cookbook collection are quite a few of this type. Some from hospital auxiliary groups, garden clubs, churches, cook off contests, etc. Most of them I've found quite a few recipes I enjoyed. True, there are some that I didn't like, but that is the same with other cookbooks also. Several of the books I was given by friends who travel to places I haven't been and some I've picked up when I travel. I like both local and other regional books, sometimes just to read and sometimes I find fantastic recipes to make.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
I have lots of these type of cookbooks only use a couple of recipes out of each. I know there alot of work to put together!! I collected all the recipes, for our fundraiser cookbook for the high school band program, well worth it we raised alot of money thru this type of fundraiser.
beaulana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
Pretty much like any cookbook--some will be good and some soso. And I have a couple of community cookbooks that are absolutely outstanding.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
Master Chef
Some are good - some are bad.

The best Greek cookbooks I have come from women's groups at Greek Orthodox Churchs that are trying to preserve the traditional recipes. I've also got a great Irish one from a Catholic chruch in Boston, and a great Italian one from a Catholic church in Brooklyn. I was going to buy one from the Korean-Baptist chruch on the other side of town ... but, well, they hadn't translated it into English - and I can't read Korean.

The worst such "church women's group" cookbook I ever saw was probably from the women at the 1st Baptist Chruch in Albany, GA. They all had their own "signature" dishes they would bring to the covered dish pot-luck dinners ... and they didn't want anyone else to know their "secrets" that made their version of something special over someone else's ... so they left out an ingredients or two ... I remember Mom trying to made things from that cookbook and it never tasted the same. I think she finally gave up and thew it away.

It's buying a "pig-n-a-poke" ..... sometimes you get a winner .... sometimes you don't.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Sous Chef
"and they didn't want anyone else to know their "secrets""

that thinking just drives me to distraction!!!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #17
Ladies would you like me to split your questions etc into a separate thread? We're wandering a bit from the original topic.

I love most of the community collections I have. I agree with jkath though, some of the recipes are "brown meat, slop soup and stir". I have one that my niece compiled from all our extended family members of their favorites. What a blessing to have that reference handy!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:12 AM   #18
Sous Chef
Sorry that it looked to you that we were straying - but we were still talking fund raiser books - not a penny made from them came to my pocket - talking about fund raiser cookbooks is one of my passions! Anyone's.

I hope they never go out of style.
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #19
Head Chef
Have a Greek food cookbook we picked up at a Greek Orthodox Church festival when we lived in Florida, it is great.

Also have a Cajun cookbook that is subperb.

Most of the rest we have been felt obliged to purchase are poor.

In one there are six recipes for the same broccoli casserole. Yeesh.

We have contributed to one with two TNT recipes.

No one bothered to let us proof them before printing, and one was so mangled I hope no one actually tied it.

I guess it depends upon how careful the people are who put the book together.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
Sous Chef
sales tax question

I have a question about selling cookbooks for a fund raiser. When sold by a non-profit organization and all proceeds go to non-profit causes, does the organization have to charge sales tax on the cookbook? Is it different from state to state in the US?

SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote