Future cook books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

design student

Assistant Cook
Hi
I am a new member and I have got a strange query to ask everybody here. I am a final year design student at university. I am majoring in interaction design and I over the last year I have been working on a project which is essentially designing a digital cook book.

This cook book is very different to current books and is intended for the market in 4-5 years. I want to take it away from the standard computer screen and make it more experience based, because that is what the cooking process is about - the experience of smell, sight, sound and taste and computer doesn’t seem to fit this environment. I am looking at away to make it blend seamlessly into the kitchen.

Traditional cook books are based on text and I am trying to look away from text, on the other hand too many images maybe an inefficient way of conveying the full experience of a recipe. I am trying to find away to enhance the preparation and process of cooking through a cook book.

I have hit a bit of a brick wall and hoping you guys can help with any suggestions

Thanks

I have thought about it some more and I was wondering if anyone could spare a few minutes and think about the following questions:

1. What is important to you when you cook?

2. How do you cook? Do you look at index with a main ingredient in mind or do flip through the book waiting for inspiration?

3. Do you cook in a linear way (step by step) or randomly (several steps at a time)?

4. Do you like detailed cooking instructions or simple?

5. Would you appreciate audio prompt while cooking (the next step read to you)?

Thank you for your time

I do not like recipes that essentially say "enter kitchen, face stove". I LOVE Molly Stevens' book about braising but her instructions are MUCH too detailed. BUT that said, I like the parts of her recipes that explain why it is good to do the particular method. So, to that end, an explanation of method at the beginning like Julia Child did might be good.
I don't like working from videos--and probably not from audio.

1. It is important to me that I can juggle my recipes to fit with timings...one of the reason I tend to mix cook books when I cook for a dinner party is because working with recipes I am not familiar with I want the recipe visable at all times, (not good to turn pages with foodie hands). When cooking for a big party I could be juggling with 5 or six different dishes at a time, so something that worked out timings for me in the way technology can, rather than a book would be great....sat nav for cooking!

2. I cook seasonally and thematically. I think about the time of year and if there is a special reason for the gathering/meal. I think about whats on offer at the supermarket. Seasonality is vital to me. It is also the cheapest way to cook, imo. There is one superstar of the meal....usually the main meat....other things fit in suitably around it, to reflect my mood, the weather, if people who are vegatarian./ have allergies etc are eating with us.

3. Depends what I am cooking. Baking and candy making is usually more important you try and be step by step. Other wise I guess I am pretty random. Comes back to the juggling thing usually. Or miss reading recipes.

4. Detailed. I like to know what I should look for to know I have done it right at the end of the stage decribed...eg soft peak, hold bowl upside down, soft ball stage. Mainly because if I am using a recipe I am not sure of the process...other wise I'd be winging it.

5. Yep. But I would hate an annoying voice. And I like to see it written too. Some times I want to read the same direction more than once or twice. So I would want to hear it more often too.

Hope that helps you!

This is great! I know not everyone cooks in the same way, which is why I’m trying to get an idea how other people cook and use a kitchen. This is really helping, thanks for you input J

I recently retired from professionally cooking, so my answers may be a combination of pro/home cooking styles now. It will be interesting to see the responses from both 'sides'.
------

1. What is important to you when you cook?

Number 1 is the season - we hit the farmer's markets twice a week (in season) and I tend to stock up on meats/poultry for the freezer (always have a running list of what's left). I tend to make up 2-3 day menus by thinking of what I have in stock and what sounds good at the moment. When I need inspiration, I go to my book 'library' first, next my MasterCook 'library' and look up ingredients for ideas. Finally, I usually end up substituting ingredients called for with those I have on hand.
-----

2. How do you cook? Do you look at index with a main ingredient in mind or do flip through the book waiting for inspiration?

Ooops, answered above...
-----

3. Do you cook in a linear way (step by step) or randomly (several steps at a time)?

Here my training takes over - I always have my mise en place ready before starting any dish. And because I'm getting lazy in my old age, a lot of time I will do my mise en place early in the day and chill/store till time to do the actual cooking. Saves so much time - so, I'm leaning towards more and more dishes that prep can be done ahead.
----

4. Do you like detailed cooking instructions or simple?

Hmmmm, this is a hard one. I would like to say all recipes ought to be detailed for those who need it, but I find it tedious to sort thru all the verbage to get to the 'meat' of a recipe.

A short story here, years ago Time-Life came out with a series of books from all over the world cooking (fantastic set by the way :) ). I remember thinking how absurd the directions were for things like mashed potatoes - the directions were so simplistic, but! When I read the non-North American books, I really appreciated the detail that went into the recipes. Such a dichotomy.

So, short answer I guess would be - yes, recipes ought to be detailed. (who knows who your audience will be)
-----

5. Would you appreciate audio prompt while cooking (the next step read to you)?

No, I read thru a recipe to get the flavor and go for it. And I usually have a couple steps going at the same time; prompts would be confusing to me.
----

Hope you keep us in the loop as to how your study is going!! Good luck!

I like cookbooks that are interesting to read as well. One of my favorite books is my Mark Bittner "Takes on America's Top Chefs" book. And oh yeah, I am an amateur home cook.

Hi again

Thank for everyone’s feedback, it has been very useful. You have given me some good ideas to work on. Very much appreciated. If any one else has any suggestions please let me know – I’m keen to hear all ideas – no matter how crazy ;)

For example, what do you think of a recipe being project in you work area, or would you prefer for it to be contained in a digital book?

Hmm. My kitchen can get pretty raucous, with pans and steam and gumph. I don't know how that would effect either option really. I am guessing projection might be easier as the apparatus could be out of the way and the recipe be where I needed it, but what about light, I couldn't cook in a dark kitchen, lol

If it is to have an international implication remember that those of us in European cites, an indeed the country, often have much smaller kitchens than in US, so work space and wall space can be pretty full.

Also, how will it be activated....I would be frustrated to have to wash and dry hands before dealing with it every time.

Oh, for laminated pages!, lol.

very cool idea design student. like a heads up dsiplay of the recipe, over the work areas or stove.

as far as your non-text book goes, how about introducing looping video clips of each step, with close ups of particulars such as sweating versus carmelizing, or humid versus dry heat methods, low bubble simmer versus a rolling boil, which are critical to a dish's success.

design student said:

For example, what do you think of a recipe being project in you work area, or would you prefer for it to be contained in a digital book?

I have seen something like this in on of those "kitchen of the future" shows. Additionally I like to see background information for what I am cooking, such as history of the recipe or specific ingredients. That is always interesting to me. Sort of the way Mario Batali gives an education about the food he is preparing.

I’ve been thinking about what you guys have been saying and I have come up with a couple of ideas (all thanks to your feedback). I also have a new question to ask you all ;)

What do you think about customizing the recipes from the digital cookbook to your style of cooking? For example if you could change the level of detail in the recipe’s instructions (your choice of more or less detail). And the same control option over how many illustrative photos etc. What do you think of this? Would you spend a minute or two, before you start cooking, to ‘customize ‘your recipe?

Could the thing have basic settigs so it just needs customising if we want to change one's standard settings? So you could choose basic, detailed or indepth with background info, but keep the prefered as a default?

Also if I were going to the expence of this "cookbook of the future" it would be good if I good update it with new recipes, even if it meant typing or uploading them from a website or even reading them in. After all, it doesn't sound like the sort of thing one would want to have to have dozens of!

Its all a very interesting idea and I have enjoyed reading your ideas. It sounds like a very interesting project :)

Perhaps I should have mentioned this cookbook works in conjunction with the internet, making sure you have access to all the latest recipes.

At the moment I like the idea, that once you have created a recipe setting that suits you (if the default isn’t right) it remembers it until you change it again.

I’m trying to incorporate this ideal that the technology shouldn’t control you and take over you life, yet at the same time it should be intuitive, not 101 buttons to push to turn it on ;) that would take the pleasure of cooking away

Sounds very good, well done! You are right about the 101 buttons thing, but then I am the person who had to call my husband this morning to ask him how to turn the tv on, lol

I think you've got a very interesting concept. I cook based on availability of ingredients and mood. I am somewhat random in how I cook because I usually have several dishes going at once. I would like an audio prompt because I hate getting cook books all ucky from dough hands or whatever. I do not use cookbooks alot, except for baking, but one in the workarea would be handy. I am always changing recipes to fit what I like and what is available, I would love a system that remembers what I did the last time. I never can. As far as simple or detailed, I thing that has to do with experience level and personal preference, I would prefer simple, my son needs alot of detail. Good luck.

I think the whole thing should be voice activated so I don't have to keep cleaning and drying my hands.

Key words such as repeat, help, stop, next...

Back
Top Bottom