"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillncook View Post
Yes it's a great collection, but my brother says a cookbook collection isn't complete without "The White Trash Cookbook". He's been looking for years and I can't wait for him to find it, I'm so tired of the "I had it in my hands" story.
If you mean the book I think you mean, it's not hard to find: CLICKY

BTW, there's a second volume, White Trash Cooking II: CLICKY

Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
Cook

I haven't been here in a while I like the tomatoes by each forum.

I am so glad to see someone else likes old cookbooks. I have very few compared to you guys, but I love love me some vintage cookbooks.

thesongthatilike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I used to spend a lot of time in the used book stores in the cookbook section. I would come home with all kinds of great finds. My favorite was an old French cookbook that I still love and use to this day.

I also really like the Junior League and Church compilation cookbooks. The way I figure it, junior leaguers and church members won't put in a recipe unless they know it's a tried-and-true keeper that's worth sharing.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooksie View Post
I also really like the Junior League and Church compilation cookbooks. The way I figure it, junior leaguers and church members won't put in a recipe unless they know it's a tried-and-true keeper that's worth sharing.
GREAT cookbooks! And if you don't have time to find the books compiled by individual chapters of the League, look for the hardbound versions. I have the Southern Union League Cookbook, The Eastern Junior League Cookbook, and the Western Junior League Cookbook. Use them fairly often, recommend all three.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Wow Scotch, my palms got all itchy just looking at all of those lovely books - and I thought 250 was too many!

Another great place to pick up cookbooks are yard sales and the Goodwill - yeah, I am that cheap.
You're not cheap, just being thrifty. Flea markets may have some too.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Some have this, but you might like to add it to your collection
Old Australian Food Recipes | Recipes, Cooking and Delicious Meals the old time way in Australia
Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Executive Chef

"Books? Books? I don't got to show you no stinkin' books" (Play on words from "Treasure of the Sierra Madres" movie). I had a lot of cookbooks. Other than a very few, I sold, gave, donated almost all of them. Hey, with Google, Allrecipies and Discuss Cooking, who needs books? When we retired, we had to downsize, so now we just have our wonderful laptops! Happy recipe research on the Internet!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
You're not cheap, just being thrifty. Flea markets may have some too.
Not only that, but the real treasures for collectors aren't the tons of new cookbooks now in bookstores but the oldies found in thrift shops, at used book sales, on EBay, etc. Most of the books in photos of my bookshelf are more than 20 years old, averaging probably 30 or 40 years old (pure guess), some well over 100.

I love the books from the 20s through the 60s; after that, things went downhill for awhile, IMHO, as convenience began to outstrip taste and nutrition. OTOH, there weren't as many foreign and ethnic cookbooks back then, which seemed to have surged in the 80s and beyond as more people became interested in cooking and dining.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
"Books? Books? I don't got to show you no stinkin' books" (Play on words from "Treasure of the Sierra Madres" movie). I had a lot of cookbooks. Other than a very few, I sold, gave, donated almost all of them. Hey, with Google, Allrecipies and Discuss Cooking, who needs books? When we retired, we had to downsize, so now we just have our wonderful laptops! Happy recipe research on the Internet!
Ah, yes, but cookbooks are more than just a compilation of recipes. In fact, I don't do the cooking in my family, but I can curl up with a cookbook and enjoy it almost as much as reading fiction.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Ah, yes, but cookbooks are more than just a compilation of recipes. In fact, I don't do the cooking in my family, but I can curl up with a cookbook and enjoy it almost as much as reading fiction.
Cooking for me is a passion. Reading fiction is an escape.