Get old cookbooks ... often at great price.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with Scotch. Cookbook collecting is an illness.:ROFLMAO: I've been collecting cookbooks since I was 13-years old. When I was in the eighth grade I joined the Cookbook Club of America and haven't looked back. I still have the original 4 books I selected as my membership choices. They're yellowed, worn and well-used. I haven't belonged to the club in years and years, but I haven't stopped acquiring cookbooks. At last count I had over 1,200. Got 3 this last Christmas and recently ordered 2 more.

Love all my cookbooks and read them like novels. In fact, there are three by my bedside right now. I've always loved food and cooking. My old 3- x 5-inch recipe file has now been replaced by 4 plastic shoe boxes containing the cards of recipes I've made. Someday I might count and see how many recipes are there.

All of our 5 children are skilled cooks and enjoy cooking, which is something Buck and I are proud of. I've already willed all my recipes and cookbooks to our daughter. She's the one of the 5 who would most appreciate/use them.

...So many cookbooks, so little time.:LOL:

I have to agree with Scotch. Cookbook collecting is an illness.:ROFLMAO: I've been collecting cookbooks since I was 13-years old. When I was in the eighth grade I joined the Cookbook Club of America and haven't looked back. I still have the original 4 books I selected as my membership choices. They're yellowed, worn and well-used. I haven't belonged to the club in years and years, but I haven't stopped acquiring cookbooks. At last count I had over 1,200. Got 3 this last Christmas and recently ordered 2 more.

Love all my cookbooks and read them like novels. In fact, there are three by my bedside right now. I've always loved food and cooking. My old 3- x 5-inch recipe file has now been replaced by 4 plastic shoe boxes containing the cards of recipes I've made. Someday I might count and see how many recipes are there.

All of our 5 children are skilled cooks and enjoy cooking, which is something Buck and I are proud of. I've already willed all my recipes and cookbooks to our daughter. She's the one of the 5 who would most appreciate/use them.

...So many cookbooks, so little time.:LOL:

Over 1200? Girl, you are ill! :LOL:

Seriously, I obviously couldn't agree more. While one can easily find a recipe on the Internet these days, it's just not the same as looking through a trusted volume(s) for something to make.

Today, for example, I wanted to make cookies to have during the week, so I went to my copy of 1959 edition of The Best of the Bake-Off Collection, which includes the 1000 best recipes from the early years of the Pillsbury Bake Off, back when everything was made from scratch (the only requirement back then, I believe, was that the recipe include Pillsbury flour). After looking through a wide variety of choices, I settled on a great recipe for Southern Pecan Bars, which won a "best of class" award more than 50 years ago. That little bit of history adds something to my enjoyment of both baking and eating the cookies.

...At last count I had over 1,200....I've already willed all my recipes and cookbooks to our daughter. She's the one of the 5 who would most appreciate/use them....
You raise an interesting point. I've wondered what to do with my collection of cookbooks when I'm, shall we say, toast. It currently numbers around 1000 and includes some rather rare volumes.

My daughter isn't much into cooking, nor AFAIK are any of my sisters' kids. Maybe one of my grandkids will be interested. Other than that, I've thought about leaving them to a library or maybe a community college with a good home ec department.

You raise an interesting point. I've wondered what to do with my collection of cookbooks when I'm, shall we say, toast. It currently numbers around 1000 and includes some rather rare volumes.

My daughter isn't much into cooking, nor AFAIK are any of my sisters' kids. Maybe one of my grandkids will be interested. Other than that, I've thought about leaving them to a library or maybe a community college with a good home ec department.

There is an "out" in my will that those volumes our daughter chooses not to keep, are to go to our local library.

I'm think of that Viking movie with Kirk Douglas. You know, they put the dead King in his boat with all kinds of kindling and wood with him. They push the boat out onto the fjord and a long distance archer shoots a flaming arrow . . . you get the picture. :ROFLMAO:

I also love cookbooks, but only have so much room. People were always giving me cookbooks for gifts. The ones I search out are the ones put out as fund raisers by churches and such. I've had to really thin out my collection, down to about 5, plus the big red Betty Crocker loose leaf cookbook, lots of nice basics in there. I get most of my recipes from the internet now.
When I do buy a cookbook, I pay 25 cents at a garage sale. I tell the seller I collect 25 cent cookbooks, and if they want $1, then thats not a 25 cent cookbook, and I don't want it. All they can say is no.

Scotch - love your bookcases....
I think mine would fill about four or five!! Have most in boxes, but one day I'll get them all out.

I buy most of my cookbooks at thrift stores and library sales. Just got a few this past week at a local library sale - Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here For the Food" and "California Gold" by the California State Grange were just two of the goodies I got for less than $.50/each. Can't afford new, but I can afford $.50!

Oh, I have a few, about 1000 at last count.

94687848_2t96i-L.jpg

There's actually two more bookcases that are half the size of the white one.
I am amazed to see in pride of place next to the bookend the collected set "Favorite Recipes of America" ! My grandma gave me her set 42 years ago.
P.S. Your shelves are immaculate. Makes me need to go dust.

Oh, I have a few, about 1000 at last count.
Oldest one was printed in 1894.
It's kind of a mental disease, I think. :LOL:

94687849_kxZ7p-L.jpg

And a few more:

94687848_2t96i-L.jpg

There's actually two more bookcases that are half the size of the white one.

OH SCOTCH ... I'M IN SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH TROUBLE ... LOL! I've been on Amazon.com ordering used cookbooks ... averaging about five to ten a week ... it's been both fun & informative!!!

ok, well nice to know Im not the only one with a collection of cookbooks big enough to open a bookstore! I collect old cookbooks, new cookbooks, shiney cookbooks...you know whatever suits my fancy. I love half price books favorite store ever!

Back
Top Bottom