Good book find! Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathleen, ahem, Santa... brought that for me. I disagree with a few of his ratios and his logic behind a couple things. But it is an interesting read and does, usually, get you in the ball park where you can tweak things.

I just bought and read this book. I found it fascinating how it demonstrated how closely related different types of recipes are.

Frank, you may be right about results, I haven't tried any of the ratios/recipes yet.

I think it's a very good instructive tool for those interested in going beyond reading recipes.

I just bought and read this book. I found it fascinating how it demonstrated how closely related different types of recipes are.

Frank, you may be right about results, I haven't tried any of the ratios/recipes yet.

I think it's a very good instructive tool for those interested in going beyond reading recipes.

I knew you would see the benefit.:chef:

This book really helped me starting improvising

I was always so anxious that any tiny little modification might harm this cake recipe or that pancake variation, bcz - as we all know - "baking is like a science" (as opposed to cooking). But reading it, about a year ago, I figured out that there's a lot of place for creativity in my own baking!

I've started with Pound Cakes, then moved to Breads - all are based on really simple ratios and upon getting it, I feel much more free to improvise and modify.

As always, when you understand something, you're much more likely to succeed in it!

Back
Top Bottom