Good Housekeeping Cookery Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
That nice Mr Amazon has just sent me another cook book. It's a 1925 version of the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book - very early - published in London.

Apart from the recipes, some of which are still in editions up to at least the current editions, it's interesting to see which of the ingredients that in England we have considered as relatively new now were common enough to be in a household cookery book of that age such as bell peppers and "the egg plant or aubergine" which only started appearing in the UK again in the 1970s and Japanese artichokes which I've only seen in the last 10 years or so. Yet tomatoes had a section to themselves and had to be explained.

There is a recipe for gnocchi a la romana and several for pasta, frikadeller, a section on smoerrebroed which was very fashionable in the '70s and a section on curries.

Bearing in mind that England wasn't very multicultural in the 1920s, this is a very cosmopolitan selection.

Mind you, I have to draw the line at baked banana steaks involving a beef steak split and stuffed with bananas and sugar and wrapped in bacon and braised in the oven!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom