"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

cookbooks

Hi Silver:
this is Bigjim, have you ever heard of (Meta Givens Modern Encyclopdia Of
Cooking). I think they are printed any more. I use to have a 2 volume set
years ago and I gave them to this young girl to start out cooking, and I
have always wanted another set. I went to this website for cookbooks out
of print, and I was able to get another set. what I like about these is it
has recipes for french food, or if you want to cook a elk or beaver, bear,
moose, and all inbatween. I think they printed from the 40`s to the 60`s.
anyway I just wanted to know if any of you had heard of them. take care
and God bless....

Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I just got Cookwise and it is IMHO, an excellent resource.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
Master Chef

Alton Brown is really not about recipes - he is just demonstrating "how" things work - the science and techniques behind cooking. Basically a "Mr. Wizzard" of cooking ... you'll understand what I'm talking if you were a kid back in the 1950's and remember watching Mr. Wizzard on your black-and-white TV.

Alton gets "most" of his science from either Harold McGee or Shirley Corriher - but not all of it.

I don't watch AB for the recipes - just for the science.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Thanks guys. I've picked up How to Cook Everything, but that's more of a recipe book. McGee, Corriher, and Brown will all be additions as soon as I get a chance.

I love the science part. Odd.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're going to buy McGee and Corriher, you don't need Brown. He's a lightweight by comparison.

If you go for Pepin's Complete Techniques, you'll get detailed instruction on how to perform the basic techniques for classical cooking.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Nice, good info Andy. Especially the Pepin bit. Technique is usually my biggest problem. I'm a mess in there sometimes!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:05 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Thanks for the tips, guys. I am actually interested in the Einstein and AB books purely out of interest in HOW food cooks and what different things happen to food when prepared differently and so on. I'm a nerd

I just checked Costco here and they don't have it so looks like it'll be $20 to buy it at the store or online. Oh well, that's life.

I'll definitely look at the rest - I'm very interested in knowing how and why rather than just what. That's of greater interest to me than simply in how something turns out.
Well, I'll come right out and say it. I have "Gear for Your Kitchen" and one of the "I'm Just Here for the Food" books by Alton Brown, and I love both of them. They are not cookbooks, although they do include a few recipes. They are great for what you are interested in, however. I'm a nerd, too!

Kelly
Old 06-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Thanks Kelly. I'm seriously considering one or two of his books. I want to go down to the book store and browse through them first. I think I'll order Corriher and McGee, regardless.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

If you're looking for pure reference, you cannot beat Escoffier and Larousse. Fun for the history, not necessarily for cooking. These are books you buy AFTER you've already learned to cook! My husband is a historian and loves The Food Chronology by Trager.

When it comes to day-to-day cooking, I really don't think you can beat Joy of Cooking overall. Especially the most recent edition because it has recipes from around the globe. I'd say that if you only had one cookbook, this should be it. Betty Crocker and Better Homes & Gardens (the cookbooks I had as a young woman) are also good, but not quite as comprehensive.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #20
Head Chef

This is a great conversation. Thought I'd weigh in on one difference between "Joy of Cooking" and "The All New Joy of Cooking". In an online discussion with an acquaintance about beef broth, I discovered how much the beef processing and distribution industry, and the federal regulations that govern them have changed in the past two or three decades. You can't buy beef knuckles or neck bones in my area anymore. The reason seems to be that regrettably, the days of "swinging beef" in a butcher shop, or even a local slaughterhouse are long gone. I hope the tide turns but it's going to take a major sea change.

"The All New Joy of Cooking" and "How to cook everything" (a huge favorite of mine) reflect these changes in their recipes and ingredients.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote