Got my first two reference/cookbooks, recommendations for more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larousse Gastronomique.
The Professional Chef.
Food Lovers Companion.
Culinary Artistry.

I think AB is a hopeless twit.
If you are going to be buying a lot of cookbooks you might like to look at Jessica's Biscuit or zooba.com . The savings are prodigious, although I HATE to steer you away from a local independent bookstore.
Also, joining a cookbook club like the Good Cook can give you huge savings by their introductory offer--4 books, $1 each, fifth book half price. I once got 5 $40 cookbooks for a total of $35.
And Amazon is a good source.

I use The Professional Chef as my technique bible, On Food And Cooking as my how/why reference, and specific texts focusing purely on the cuinine I'm cooking for recipes and added information (such as "Les Halles" for Bistro food, or "Real & Rustic" for Louisiana Grub).

But the CIA text and McGee would be my foundation and core from which everything else branches.

EDIT: I purchased Alton Brown's 27-DVD set with some gift certificates I had, and they are definetly worth a try. many of his dishes aren't exactly "traditional", but they teach you techniques, equipment, ingredients, history, and even a few good dishes... ;) (3 Episodes on each DVD, so 81 Topics). At the end of each episode, he spends an additional 10min or so answering common questions people eMailed/snail-mailed him. I don't have cable, so I watched a few DVDs a week until I finished them, and still pull 'em out now and then when I'm trying something new that he did a show on.

I also purchased the CIA's incredibly over-priced "techniques" DVD 3-pk, and found them to be good, but not at what they charge. I would have been just as happy with my texts.

Last edited:
Mrs Beaton`s Everyday Cookery is my favorite, I have the 1923 edition, but it`s still perfectly readable (although a little battered now).

it`s a Must Read for any good cook in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom