"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse
If you are a novice, it should be great. It was pretty thick with recipes!
Have you looked at any of Christopher Kimball's books or books from Cook's Illustrated? I think they could be very informative for you. There are tons out there now, including the annuals from Cook's.
~mouse
No, I've decided to hold off on getting any more books for awhile. I have the Cook's Illustrated on my list of "if I see them cheap I'll pick them up" though.

I have a pretty good stack to work through right now and probably won't have time to look at those ones for awhile yet as it is. All in due time...

Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
I have a pretty good stack to work through right now and probably won't have time to look at those ones for awhile yet as it is. All in due time...

you mean you don't buy more until you've looked through the ones you own first???
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!
just kidding... I'd probably save myself a lot of money if I did that!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ
you mean you don't buy more until you've looked through the ones you own first???
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!
just kidding... I'd probably save myself a lot of money if I did that!
Old 07-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Location: Spanish Cove Life Care Retirement Village, Yukon, OKlahoma
I have been collecting recipes for 60 years. Anybody interested in them? I will send them to you if you pay postage. If you are interested, I will make a list of them for you to choose from. Some are clippings, some books. Check out my website: http://grannies3cookbook.homesite.com.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #35
Head Chef

Miz Guru,
The link didn't work.

I have Bittman Take son America's Chefs. It is a really good read! The recipes look good too, but get this one for the entertainment value as well. I have 2 Bobby Flay books too which are good, and fun to read. They are packed with recipes, but are geared mostly toward grilling.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #36
Cook

I like "The Joy of Cooking" also "The New Making of a Cook" by Madeleine Kamman and my "Spice and Herb Bible" by Ian Hemphil is always a help.

My all time favorite is "Culinary Artistry" by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. It is my favorite referance book. It is not a cook book, but a wonderful referance to help YOU develop recipes, menus, based on food, and spice pairings. It follows the seasons, holidays, and more, to suggest when and what to buy.

It would take a book to tell you everything that is in this book. When ever a couple gets married, my presents are both "The Joy of Cooking" and "Culinary Artistry" Sooner or later they will use both, and they will become their Touchstones.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I love Tessa Kiros' Apples for Jam - it is full of old-fashioned home-style family recipes, with her own imaginative and innovative touches.

Stephanie Alexander's The Cooks Companion is an excellent reference for all types of produce - its basically a dictionary of food, with the best seasons and ways to use everything.

The Silver Spoon is also great for italian food, and thoroughly covers the basics of how to home-make all the sauces and doughs etc. as well as heaps of dishes. I think it's just recently been translated from italian.

I also love the recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly magazine, who are one of the few frequent recipe publishers that continue to churn out good old fashioned recipes that work every time and don't take short cuts. All their recipes are online at http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/section.as...ctionname=food
Old 08-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

The Professional Chef from the CIA is a little beyond the homecook not saying that the homecook could not make the recipes but it is a little advanced. One book you should also checkout is "The Food Substitions Bible" by David Joachim great reference work for looking up needed substitions in a hurry. Your list is impressive though I like it. Are you looking to specialize in any type cusine say like Chinese,Thai, Italian or something like that?

Rgds Sugarcreations
Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Well, I'm definitely a few months behind on this thread (been busy, woops).

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, it's definitely a worthy thread for anyone looking for a good base library.

Sugarcreations, I think that if I had a specialty (which I don't because I'm just not that talented), I'd lean towards healthier/lower fat/lower cal cooking. I try to keep the dishes I make on the healthy side of tasty. It's one of the reasons I'm always trying to figure out how to best prepare/season foods...because I try not to rely on too much fat for flavour, so cooking method and seasonings are a great resource for me.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #40
Head Chef

I have loads of great, great, great books that I found in second hand and charity shops. I have literally hundreds of pounds worth that I paid a couple of pounds for.

Even as a fan of Jamie Oliver, the Jamie's kitchen would be well down my list, just my opinion. Any Nigella Lawson book would be higher, but I would particularly get How to Eat.

In my collection include a stash of US cook books including the old "Joy" . My Prue Leith Cookery Bible is also invaluable.