"Gourmet Magazine" Closing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Just read a news bit from Conde Nast stating that they're closing out "Gourmet Magazine" due to the economic slump. While I haven't subscribed to it for a few years now (although I do get Bon Appetit), I'm really surprised since "Gourmet" was such a cooking mag institution for so very long.

Conde states that they're hoping their "Bon Appetit" will pick up at least some of the subscribers that are currently receiving "Gourmet", while they felt that if they had dropped "Bon Appetit" instead, they doubt those subscribers would have been switched over to "Gourmet".

I heard that. I think folks are using forums like this and other online recipe sources instead.

I used to get Gourmet for years but a couple of years ago, I gave it up because of the format changes they had made + the lack of every day recipes. It just stopped doing it for me. I gave up my Bon Appetite subscription also. I get other cooking magazines, but BA and Gourmet changed, and I didnt like the changes.

I hate news like that, specially if I have a paid up subscription! or have given some as gifts !

I used to subscribe to both Gourmet & Bon Appetit many years ago. Gave up Gourmet when the format shifted to more travel-related stuff - hotels, resorts, wine tastings, etc. - over food. Then gave up Bon Appetit because we were moving at the time & I wasn't going to renew subscriptions for awhile. Just started getting Bon Appetit again since last year when they sent me an offer for a year's subscription for $10. However, I was shocked when I saw how much the magazine has changed. Way, WAY too many ads versus content, & the print is miniscule - at least for me. I need a super-bright light & a magnifying reading glasses to get through it. Don't think I'll be renewing. I do still enjoy Saveur magazine though, although even that has started morphing.

I hate news like that, specially if I have a paid up subscription! or have given some as gifts !

Well, at least with this case you can most likely get your remaining subscription money back or be allowed to switch it to one of their other publications (they're apparently closing out 3 other magazine as well - 2 bridal & one re: cookies?).

Refund problems result when the mag publisher is filing for bankruptcy or going out of business, neither of which Conde Nast is doing (at least for now, lol!). That's why I never jump at offers to become a charter subscriber to a new magazine - especially if it's being put out by an independent publisher. I've been burned before that way.

I only have some of the older magazines, anniversary issues or something like that, but I have the complete collection of "The best of Gourmet" books, and I believe the last volume was the year 2007. I will miss that publication, and at the same time, I agree with you, the last volumes, like the magazines, looked different than the early ones.

I abandoned all magazine subscriptions recently.
For magazines in general....
Too many ads, not enough substance. Articles hard to find due to lack of
page numbering. Ads and articles too hard to distinguish. Bothersome
subscription fall out & tear out cards.

Did I mention too many ads?

This site is WAY better than Gormet magazine, or any magazine, because each individual can be a part of this and interact.
The internet is a living thing with immediacy.

I abandoned all magazine subscriptions recently.
For magazines in general....
Too many ads, not enough substance. Articles hard to find due to lack of
page numbering. Ads and articles too hard to distinguish. Bothersome
subscription fall out & tear out cards.

Did I mention too many ads?

Cooks Illustrated is a magazine that has NO ads, and has, what I would consider, REAL recipes that aren't just bubbles out of someone's head, but are tested over and again, and are designed for the average cook, not just gourmets or professionals. And their techniques are sound.

Oh, and did I mention they have NO ADS!

I also gave up on magazine subscriptions because of excessive advertising and minimal content.

The Epicurious.com website is operated by the publishers of Gourmet and Bon Appetit. there are hundreds of recipes and many other features from the magazines.

I have to admit that while I adore the Internet & all it has to offer, I'm still a "hard print" girl at heart & will never understand folks who always have to have their eyes glued to a computer screen to get any information or relaxation.

For me, nothing beats relaxing with a cup of tea/coffee or glass of wine & the latest issue of one of the magazines I get (I get a few different equine/farm, gardening, & cooking mags). Staring at a laptop just doesn't do it for me.

and, you can bring a magazine with you to the beach (wishing I was on a beach)!

Cooks Illustrated is a magazine that has NO ads, and has, what I would consider, REAL recipes that aren't just bubbles out of someone's head, but are tested over and again, and are designed for the average cook, not just gourmets or professionals. And their techniques are sound.

Oh, and did I mention they have NO ADS!

Wonderful! I will have to check it out!

----------
I too am a hard copy reader. Gimme my BOOKS! I can't even imagine
using a Kindle to read a book. phooey.
(Course, I SELL paper for a living, so I am a bit biased, LOLOL)

Back
Top Bottom