Green Valley Book Fair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
For those of you who live in Virginia, if you've never been to the Green Valley Book Fair (2192 Green Valley Lane, Mt. Crawford, VA, 800-385-0099, Green Valley Book Fair) - shame on you!!!!

Husband & I try to make at least 2 trips per year, even though it's a good/easy 90-minute drive each way for us from Culpeper, VA.

Our last trip, when they were also holding an "extra" estate book auction, had us walking away about $100 lighter in the wallet, but with EASILY $200-$300 worth of books - some first editions.

I ended up with an entire carton of the Time-Life series of international cookbooks (including the spiral-bound recipe books) for $1 apiece. Also a first edition of The Joy of Cooking, lovingly worked thru by the previous & obviously original owner. I also found & bought a number of old first editions of local cookbooks, which I will lovingly read & keep in my collection, mostly because I doubt I'll be making any raccoon, possum, or woodchuck any time soon. :LOL:

Another book (I bought so many, the folks running the place gave me quite a few for free - lol!!!), that I've really enjoyed reading, is rather oddball, but interesting. It's called Death Warmed Over, & is a cute little book (by Lisa Rogak) on traditional or semi-traditional foods from all over the world that are served at funerals. Perhaps a bit morbid, but tongue-in-cheek as well, & a fun little read.

If I listed all the wonderful books I bought there (& the cookbooks are just the tip of the iceberg), this post would run for PAGES. And I won't even go into audiophile husband's purchase of at least 100 LP's - many rare & precious - for $1 apiece.

I can't say enough good things about the Green Valley Book Fair. If you live near enough to make the visit feasible, do get on their mailing list to find out when they're open. It's not a daily-open place - just certain date-spans throughout the year.

You have a good auction house in Culpepper. Might could get some good books there, too!

I run across old cook books every now and then. Currently I have a 1908 or so White House cookbook, complete with instructions on holding a dinner for heads of state! Cool!

love books. yum yum

I have a friend in VA that never misses it! Last year he picked up a few from the Beautiful Cookbooks series for me. He usually comes home with boxes of books.

sounds great! wish I lived on that side of the country....
Congratulations on your many finds! I love book sales.

for anyone who wants to increase their cookbook collection, you can subscribe to Book Sale Finder and they will e-mail you all the sales in your state or within so many miles of you. There's one in the town my sister lives in today so I've been trying to call her to get her to go over for me!!

Back
Top Bottom