"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Head Chef

Years back I saw recipe box project that was big enough to hold a page from a magazine of a piece of notebook paper folded in half. That might be a good method to keep recipes in one place. I hate to transfer a recipe if I already have a good copy of it, but I'm just lazy.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Head Chef

Y'all are so organized.

Have a large folder of hand written recipes in absolutely no order. When I once in a while go through them, pick out a few I want to make and transfer them to the computer.

Were it not for the computer, could never find anything.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

I still can't believe the number of recipes I've written down and have never made. I just weeded out so many. Now all I have in my recipe box are TNT ones. I only kept a few of ones I still have yet to prepare. I figured after all these years if I hadn't made it yet then I probably won't. Now I still need to go through my recipe file on the computer though.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Cook

Send a message via MSN to AriesGirl71 Send a message via Yahoo to AriesGirl71
Ok.. from what everyone has posted as suggestions.. i have decided to combine all of them and get more organized...or try to.. lol. My luck is.. I will get all organized and a month from now.. will need to do it again. I have decided to type and print out all of my favorite recipes from cookbooks, magazines, recipes etc, that I want to try and put them into a 3 ring binder in catagories. The ones that I have made and are favorites I will keep in my index box that I already have and as I make the ones I have not made yet but want to.. and if they are well liked.. will add to the index box. I have TONS of taste of home and quick cooking magazines so by typing them and printing them out.. i can throw the magazines away. At least I am gonna try this idea.. see how it goes. I need to do something as I need to get rid of this box of magazines that I have in the closet. Cookbooks I will probably keep no matter what as I did pay good money for them. Anything else will be typed out and original tossed.

Thanks for all ur help and keep the suggestions coming.. never know if this will work for me or not.. lol.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

As an alternative, I'd recommend not typing up a ton of recipes that you have saved from mags etc. until you've tried them and decide you like them. Otherwise, you'll be typing forever!

To get rid of magazines, clip the recipes and toss the rest of the issue.

Sort the clippings by category (main dishes, desserts, sides, salads), and clip them together or put them into individual folders. Then, when you're looking for a recipe, you can go to that category and flip through the ones you've saved.

If you cook it and like it, put it into your permanent collection by typing it up and putting it into a binder or put it onto a recipe card.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I just can't throw out those ones Mom wrote out.

Same for the old farm ladies who I used to interview for the newspaper with their perfect Palmer Method penmanship.

OK, so I'm a pack rat. Deal with it.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

mine are a mess

and I wouldn't have it any other way. I took my mother in law's recipes when she passed away and her mother's too! Both were kept in little index card holders. Some of mine are that way, as well. But from my own mother, I learned the method of writing it down, and sticking it in a folder in a drawer.

Sorry, but it's the truth and I'll never be able to organize them now. There is no hope.

Fortunately, I don't actually follow too many recipes.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 AM   #18
Master Chef

[quote=mudbug]I just can't throw out those ones Mom wrote out.

quote]

I'm absolutely with you on this one!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I am liking this thread as I have no system at all - or lots of not very organised little systems. Printouts from the 'net are in a drawer in my computer desk. Cookbooks are either in my kitchen, the lounge shelf or my study shelf. I have a stack of magazines with marked pages I need to actually try. I also have a notebook of handwritten recipes I put together when I was in high school. Recipes people have given me are scattered all over the place.
I can never find a recipe when I need one (or I find about 6 then cant remember which one I like) and unfortunately I am not clever enough to cook without them.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I also try to keep all my recipes in my file in the puter. I have written down loads of recipes, but I am so bad at keeping them in good order, if I do use it I would leave it on the kitchen counter, table, shelf etc. it would continue to be knocked around here and there until I spill something on it or getting accidentally tossed out with some other rubbish or just disappear into our domestic black hole (I am convinced there is one in our house...)
So I try to make a point that whenever I find a recipe I will put it in our recipe file in our doc disc, and keep a copy on one of my memory pens and when I need them I look at them on our flybook in the kitchen.