"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via MSN to AriesGirl71 Send a message via Yahoo to AriesGirl71
Handwritten Recipes

I was just wondering how everyone stores thier handwritten recipes. I have several of them and have always kept them organized by catergory in a index card file box.. but I am getting too many "favs" and my box is getting to full to hold them all so was wondering how everyone else keeps thiers stored and if anyone could offer me a suggestion of an easier way. I don't want to keep them on the computer as I am not on here alot and it is easier having them on a card when I am cooking. Thanks!!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Cook

Ok.. after looking around more in this forum.. I think i posted it in the wrong one thread.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I do not have any handwritten ones. All of mine are on the computer. For the ones I use a lot I will print those out and keep them in a three ring binder in the kitchen. I have plastic sleeves that they go into so food stains can just be wiped off.

I also keep all my recipes in my palm pilot so that I always have them with me. That way when I am in the store I can look up a recipe and see what I would need to buy for it.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have them in an recipe box and I keep some on the computer. For cookbooks I just take an index card and not the name of the cookbook, name of the recipe and page number and keep that card in the cookbook. I'm going to try and eliminate some of my cookbooks too by writing down the recipes I like. That way I can get more cookbooks. At this point and time I have way too many so I'm reluctant to buy anymore right now.

I have just started to make a brand new recipe box though. I'm trying out different recipes and coming up with my own attempts. For those that are a success I immediately write them down and put them in my recipe box. I'm going through the old one and the ones here on the computer so that I can weed out ones I've never tried or have tried and didn't care for. I want to eventually get them all down into the one recipe box. I know how important it was for me to get my mothers recipe box so I hope that future generations will be just as happy with mine.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I keep all of mine on the computer, also. I'm very happy with Living Cookbook for this purpose. I also keep a log of variants, especially when I'm trying to make something new. Like GB, my frequently used recipes are bound in a recipe book.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef

the ones I really want to use and keep I have typed on the puter. I also have a printout in a notebook of them all should disaster strike or should i need to take em traveling.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm like GB, and do basically the same thing. Only, I don't use page protectors and three-ring binders anymore. I have about 7 or 8 binders, full of hardcopy recipes, out in my garage. The favorite recipes that I'm using right now, are just printed, and stored in a trapper-keeper folder. I have a thumbtack and a butterfly paperclip mounted on one of my cabinets, and I'll clip the recipe I'm currently using onto that, and go from there. That keeps the recipe up and away from food.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Many many years ago, I filled about 10 recipe boxes and then I found MasterCook. Since I too, am always afraid of computer problems, my absolute favorites are printed out in 4" 3 ring binders. I have no idea how many of those I have.

I'll have to live to be 150yo to even make a dent in trying all the recipes. I keep going back to my TNT until I get into a rut.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Head Chef

Index box and a 3 ring binder with plastic pages to insert the recipes.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Cook

LOL halfbaked.. u sound like me with all my recipes. I find sooo many that I think are awesome and want to try "someday" but have had for years now and have never made. I am thinking of working my way down the cards tho and making them and tossing what didn't work or no one likes and keep the TNT ones. I am addicted to recipes, cookbooks, booklets, pamphlets.. anything that has recipes ...... I am happy just reading a cookbook.. lol