Happy 75th Anniversary to "The Joy of Cooking"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's on my wishlist!

just received a couple days ago my first copy of any of the editions....
The Joy of Cooking Standard Edition. 1973 edition, I believe.

Actually the editions from about 1967ish to 1973ish are considered as the best of the series.

The 75th edition will be my first regular Joy of Cooking book, however I would really like to get some of the 60's and 70's.

:chef:

I just read some reviews on this.... all praise it.
One did mention the use of more "convenience foods" in the recipes.
I, myself, go out of my way trying to find cookbooks that don't use convenience foods, not that I'm a diehard about it. Just thought I'd mention that, in case someone is a "from scratch" only type of cook.

It'll still go on my wishlist.

Amen to the bible of all cooks !!!!! I took the JOC overseas to Egypt years ago before the the great internet god, Google, was even thought of and thank goodness I did!!! There was no such thing as cut up chickens,beef, pork, etc., prepackaged convenience foods, etc. ---you did everything basically from scratch--if it hadn't been for that wonderful cookbook I don't know what I would have done. Egypt's scawny dry turkeys (back then, maybe not now) were a joke but we had a wonderul juicy turkey for Thanksgiving thanks to the JOC. They suggested seasoning the turkey the night before and then baking it with a cheesecloth dipped in oil. Wonderful!! Even Butterball would have been impressed-----who cares if we had the anorexic version. She was delicious on the runway!! ( I meant platter) Will have to look for this 75th version as mine is the "1975" edition. Thanks for the posting, SevenS!!

Back
Top Bottom