Has anyone read Michel Roux's book "Eggs"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mryummy

Assistant Cook
I have a question about one of the recipes. It's a long shot but maybe someone here has the book and can explain something.

I am looking at the recipe for genoese sponge cake. In the 2nd step he says you should whisk the eggs and sugar for 12 minutes or until it leaves a trail of ribbons when lifting the whisk. The problem is that the 2nd photo panel for the 2nd step shows a bowl of white batter, not the egg/sugar batter. I have no idea what this batter is, maybe it was perhaps just a photo of some other batter that had been whisked to this level of thick consistency just so they could show the ribbon trails?

I found it confusing because after about a half hour of whisking by hand I could not get the eggs and sugar to have a ribbon anywhere near as thick as in the photo. So either the photo is of something entirely different or my measurments were off.

I do think my measurements were partly off because Roux uses medium eggs (4) and I use large eggs (4), and this would account for a difference in the ration of eggs to sugar. So I added 2 Tbsp of sugar but in the end that didn't really help to make it look like the photo. I did get some ribbon trails but they were much thinner.

Hey there, wanted to welcome you to DC, although I am no expert on baking. I'm sure some of our experts here will respond before long.

Welcome to DC!

Back
Top Bottom