"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Master Chef
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thing is, you can teach and talk, but you are not going to convince. Just cook what you feel is right and don't discuss it, if they go into a meal knowing that it is low fat, lo sodium, low sugar, they are starting out with a negative attitude towards the meal. They don't have Heart Disease, why should you MAKE them eat like a cardiac cripple...that is what is going through their heads. Not the notion that you might care about their health and well-being.

You are not going to change the diehards. Live by example not by "nagging."
Well said!

I used to cook the "old way" when I had company and now I just cook. The only ones that seem to notice a difference are the ones that have adopted similar changes. Ina Garten always says the only thing anyone seems to remember about a meal is what you serve for dessert and I have learned to fake a couple of pretty good ones!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
And I rarely eat dessert, so dessert is something I might make, but don't eat. I like to serve fresh fruit at the end of a meal...

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Question My favorite UN-recipes

Yeast flakes, dry onion flakes, No salt
What would you add or do?

Drained yogurt, dry onion flakes
What else?

Baked apples and winter squash, coriander, a tiny bit of nutmeg
This has a lot of potential, but what?

Make a depression in a bag of flour, pour water in it and let soak in, that’s your dough.
jawnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
This is a really good book, but it reads like a thesaurus after the intro to the concept.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Two books come to mind. The first is: The Food Matters Cookbook - 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living by Mark Bittman.

This book IS a recipe book, but Mark, as usual in his writing, offers lots of alternative and variations which make it especially good for inspiration. The author had some health issues which turned him to this healthier approach to food, but he knows what good food is and he doesn’t leave flavor behind just to make thing healthier.

The second I believe may be just what you asked for a book about cooking, without too many recipes. It is: An Everlasting Meal – Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler.

In the Forward Alice Waters writes “. . . a book grounded in instinct, prompting the reader to examine the world around him- or herself differently, allowing cooking to become a continuous, integrative process that flows from meal to meal.”

And in the introduction Tamar states: “This is not a cookbook or a memoir or a story about one person or one thing. It is a book about eating affordably, responsibly, and well, and because doing so relies on cooking, it is mostly about that.”

This is not a health food book, but it is full of healthful ideas.
Cybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Exclamation write my own book?

I may have to write a cook book for simple eating with what you can find. And how to stay healthy with food.....but I think I need a word processor at home this library thing is just too stressful.