"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 11-14-2004, 07:14 AM   #11

Thanks Mike! I like finding old cookbooks also.

Apparently, this is the oldest [as far as actual age] that I have. I have reprints of old cookbooks written by black chefs -- one from 1827, and another from 1881.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #12
Head Chef

[quote="choclatechefAudeo. The have date confections, white cream candy, chocolate caramels, hard nut candy, candied orange peel, divinity fudge, chocolate fudge, panuche, cream mints, and turkish delight. That is all the candy they have

Do you want any of them?[/quote]

After the wealth of info you've already kindly posted on my behalf, I'm almost hesitant to ask...but...

I sure would like to see that "divinity fudge"...and wonder if it's a variation of fudge using fondant in place of direct sugar.

I am amazed at the cookbook treasures you've found. How nice to know someone is out there actively pursuing these historical items and protecting them for the next generation! So many old arts are lost, which is why I determinedly make confections the old way...to be able to keep it alive.

Thank you, choclatechef!

Old 11-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #13

Don't feel shy Audeo! I told you before, I will post whatever you ask me to! I just don't know what you or anybody else would want from these old cookbooks. I would not want to post stuff no one is interested in -- that's all.

Alas, most of my oldest old fashion World War II cookbooks and prior, are in storage.

I am trying to interest my nieces about old fashioned soul food and just old fashioned cooking, but so far........

I am stubborn though, and when I pass on, they still will have to deal with my collection of about 80 some and counting soul food cookbooks, and 40 odd and counting old fashioned cookbooks.

Plus, I plan on leaving them all the great recipes in a CD cookbook that I am compiling from what I have found online, and what I remember from childhood.

That will teach the little farts to ignore me! :twisted:

Oh. I should also say, I saw an add in the Ossoli Club cookbook that states: Licensed plumber .. steam and hot water heating expert .. 1883 to 1911 J.J. Cahill, plumbing and heating contractor.

That narrows it down a little. I would suspect this cookbook was compiled approximately in 1911.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

http://mamma.com/Mamma?qtype=0&query...it=Go+Mamma%21

click on this and pull it up.
maybe if you go into each one, you'll find a phone number and you can call to get more ifo.

I first read your inquiry, then posted. Now I see you've come up with lot's of info so mine may not pertain. Just trying to be helpful. What city did you find this treasure? Just curious. How funny that some folks find it odd that some of us like to go on treasuretroves in thrift stores. See what you can find?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #15

You did help LefseLover!

From your post, I found out that the Ossoli Club was southern in origin. Thanks.