"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have used many ways over the years. What I do now is store them all on an online site I use for appointments and notes and things. My iPhone syncs with the site so I always have my recipes with me. This comes in handy at the store if I know what I might want to make, but did not write out a list. I can just take out my iPhone and look up the recipe. I can also access them from any computer with internet access.
that store thing sounds great and very handy!! also saves writing up lists and then changing your mind and guessing at a different recipes ingredients.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I love to draw and color and work with colors but I love the computer. I guess I'm antiquated using a notebook for my recipes that I love. The computer still stores all my recipes, but my notebook is personal.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I love to draw and color and work with colors but I love the computer. I guess I'm antiquated using a notebook for my recipes that I love. The computer still stores all my recipes, but my notebook is personal.
hello sweetie. you can draw in onenote in colors.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbasiszta View Post
I can find any recipe I am looking for, either tried or new, in my recipe data files on my computer. You can word-search if need be. When I save a recipe, I put the URL right after the name of the recipe. This allows me to return to where I copied the original recipe and also research any other recipies or interesting things that might be on that website. I have a laptop, so I can take it to the kitchen if need be.
i love onenote because i can highlight anything on the web and just click send to onenote. it opens a new page, deposits whatever i sent with the url automatically added. i don't have to do anything but highlight, send and it is all waiting for me when i need it. i can click the url and go and reexamine the site. this is great for my daughter and i when we do research (hers is for college, mine is for whatever LOL). i can also add hand drawings (in colors and i can chose the thickeness and color of writing) or notes.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
hello sweetie. you can draw in onenote in colors.
No, I need the physical use of my hands and my very expensive pencils. :) I love to write and own several handmade paper notebooks. As creating presentations on my computer has been my job for so many years, the outlet of coloring (like I was 5) is so cathartic for me, it is a release, whereas doing it on my computer is just "work" for me.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

I print out recipes and store them in a 3 ring binder , tho I also have them saved on the computer in folders.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I print out recipes and store them in a 3 ring binder , tho I also have them saved on the computer in folders.
great minds think alike!! LOL i also save mine in a binder and on my family network second drive also.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Smile Recipe box

I keep all my recipes in a recipe box near my cookbook collection.

I write down on a recipe card any recipes that I come across that look interesting to me. The untried recipes go into my recipe box. I have some untried recipes that have been in the box for ages.

After I make it the first time I tweak the recipe to suit my taste. Recipes that are beyond tinkering I throw away.

I'm always tweaking recipes to improve them.

Some recipes I type into an e-mail letter that I send to myself. I save these recipes in a "recipe" folder in my e-mail section on my PC. These are usually recipes that friends have asked for in an e-mail to me. My chicken enchiladas recipe received over 50 requests.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #19
Head Chef

i use to have a card file then on some i like the pic of them so i then typed them all up and tranferred all of them to a 3 " ring binder then i needed another one. So when school was starting and store had their back to school sale i purchased many smaller binders and put recipes in catagories, appetizer & beverage, meats, casseroles & dairy , breads & pastas , cakes & pies, Cookies & candies, salads & sauces Veggies & miscell etc. works out great. Then i have a wicker basket that i throw in new recipe to try. and if its ok it get put in the notebook.

I did the computer first before tranferring cards to binders and computer crashed once and lost all, i was glad i had them still on hard copy. so I don't trust storing them them
Old 04-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I use software for my ingredient lists, notes and nutritional information. When I'm done tinkering and I can consider it 'done' I usually post it on my blog. When I use it, I usually print it from my blog because that's easier than getting the kids off of MY COMPUTER!!!!!