How Do You Store/Save Your Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a recipe box for the "tried and true" recipes that I will make again. They are all on my computer though, and my recipe cards are typed.

Recipes I have not yet made are stored in word documents with a link to wherever I found it, or a cookbook I got it from so I can credit it properly if I blog about it!

Whenever I cook with my stepdaughter, I make a copy of the recipe card - and we take a photo of her, me or both of us cooking or with the finished dish. The recipe book it all goes into will be a gift for her whenever she leaves home.

Last edited:
similar to other people, we type out our recipes, save them on the comp., and print them out for our homemade cookbook

one other thing we do, which is a bit more original, is save cut-outs from store bought foods and menus....if we buy something we like from the store, or order something from a restuarant/take-out we like (large chains like panera, cose, chipotle, applebees, etc as well as good local places), we will cut out the picture of the food and nutritional info (from the carton or disposable menu) and put it in the cookbook....they serve as a reminder to buy/order them again, and as inspiration for home-made stuff

I usually save my recipes on my laptop. I crate specific folder in specific disk drive. For example, I divided my hard disk into 4 with partition magic.
C:\ for programs (windows)
D:\ for data, especially my work
E:\ for entertainment, such as movie, music, pictures, etc
F:\ for tons of recipes. Because I love cooking, That's why those recipes become special :D

You can buy or download free recipes program on internet that could store your recipes collection, so your recipes collection of more organized and tidy, nice to see and search.

I hope from my experience can inspire and help you

I usually save my recipes on my laptop. I crate specific folder in specific disk drive. For example, I divided my hard disk into 4 with partition magic.
C:\ for programs (windows)
D:\ for data, especially my work
E:\ for entertainment, such as movie, music, pictures, etc
F:\ for tons of recipes. Because I love cooking, That's why those recipes become special :D

You can buy or download free recipes program on internet that could store your recipes collection, so your recipes collection of more organized and tidy, nice to see and search.

I hope from my experience can inspire and help you
is your laptop a tablet? if so have you tried OneNote?

Handwritten index cards - the notes made in the margins as I've cooked the recipes are worth gold. Something about typing this stuff on a computer seems too clinical to me as well as downright inconvenient since it would require having a laptop in the foxhole with me, as it were.

computer and three ring binders; I do not have a terminal in my kitchen nor do I want to pour white wine on my laptop! But everything is both hard and e filed.

I've got a spot in my kitchen for my laptop that is out of harms way. If I'm feeling extra sloppy, I'll print out the recipe. Until an index card can make conversions and calculate nutritional data, I'm sticking with technology. Heck, an index card can't even . . . um . . . index =)

I store mine in 2 versions, 1 softcopy and 1 hardcopy. Hardcopy is to use when I am cooking/baking, especially baking as the measurements of ingredients needs to be exact. For cooking, sometimes the measurement of ingredients does not need to be exact.

For hardcopy, I will just write them down, not filed in any way... as I could just print/make a copy from my softcopy whenever I need it.

For softcopy, I just put in down in a blog... and actually I am in the midst of cataloguing it now. The pros of putting the recipes in a blog (at least for me):

1) I do not need to think about what if my hard disk crashes, then all my hard work will be gone
2) I can easily incorporate the pictures of my efforts into my blog
3) Easily retrievable, as long as I have internet connection and well, internet is like a necessity now and no longer a luxury.
4) I can easily share my recipes with friends and familiy and improve on it with suggestions from them as I go along
5) I can easily catalogue them using tags or labels

Err... so far, I can't think of any cons of using a blog to catalogue my recipes..

Cheers!

I have to agree with the blog comment. Its a great way to organize and distribute recipes and you have your recipes even when you're away from home.

:)I just purchased software called the "living cookbook" and it seems awesome so far. I got it because it breaks down my recipes into how many calories per serving, carbs, fats, sugars etc. and if you want to get real detailed, it even goes into the amount of zinc, magnesium and so forth! Perfect for planning meals for my mother who is diabetic and has heart issues.

notebooks.... boxes.....
trying to get all my tnt recipes on computer printed cards.....so they're nice and neat...

the ones I find online I save to my computer with separate folders similiar to a cookbook setup (ie: Appetizers, Desserts, Main Dishes....)

for those who don't write a blog.... I also save the online ones to a yahoo group I started. Was supposed to be a family oriented group, but so far, it's just me...

as our home computer just crashed and lost everything - I don't keep much on that one. My work computer backs up every night....

I use macgourmet and I LOVE it! I have a safe place in my kitchen for my laptop, so no worries there. It's searchable, categorizable, does nutritional analysis, and synchs with my iPhone so I have my recipes on hand wherever I am.
action-smiley-057.gif

I print out the ones I find online and use that first. If the recipe is a keeper, it gets copied onto a recipe card. If not, it just gets shredded.

I print out the ones I find online and use that first. If the recipe is a keeper, it gets copied onto a recipe card. If not, it just gets shredded.

My aunt introduced me to the concept of caring about what you eat and how food is prepared. I have her recipe box with hundreds of beautifully written, and annotated over the years, recipes on index cards. Worth way more to me than some sterile printout from a computer and probably more valuable as the annotations contain much wisdom and even humor. Some cards have notes about the occasions on which the recipe was prepared. Really good stuff - almost a history of a life of cooking. I think that's hard to do with a computer, a quickly penned note is pretty darned convenient. You can see the beautiful hand decline in the latter years but that's part of it too I suppose. Not replaceable.

You won't be sorry for putting them down on cards. Keep a pen handy when you have them out - you never know what you might be moved to write down.

I just write the recipe into a word document and save in categorized folders on the hard drive. I also take photos of many of the dishes I cook and save in relevant folder. As an online back-up I post all my photos onto photobucket and the recipes on my blog.

Back
Top Bottom