"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
I use macgourmet and I LOVE it! I have a safe place in my kitchen for my laptop, so no worries there. It's searchable, categorizable, does nutritional analysis, and synchs with my iPhone so I have my recipes on hand wherever I am.
I took a look at this program and instantly fell in love with it. This is exactly what I have been looking for forever. Thanks apple*tart.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #42
Senior Cook

Oh good! You're very welcome! Your new best friend is about to become shift + apple + r. That's how you automatically import online recipes to your recipe box! It even grabs the photo for you, if there is one. If it's a non-supported website for direct importing, you can still do text clipping, which only takes a few more clicks.
I had a blast setting up the categories I wanted. In addition to the regular categories you'd see in a cookbook or a blog (Beef, Poultry, Vegetables, Desserts, etc) I have categories for original recipes, for each season, for basic techniques (blanching peaches, sectioning an orange, softening butter, etc), for recipes we've rated 5 stars, recipes I haven't made yet, recipes I want to try soon, and recipes I'll be making during the current week. It's super easy to include recipes in multiple categories/folders. I also make extensive use of the notes function to keep any reminders or to keep track of my efforts as I'm developing or modifying a recipe.
I also LOVE the optional nutritional analysis plug-in. It was worth every penny.
It was kind of intimidating at first to have this huge stack of recipes and cookbooks that needed to be entered into the software. The solution I landed on was that each time I make a new recipe, I enter it into the software. If I'm meal-planning for the week and have a recipe or two from a cookbook I'm going to try, I might enter in those recipes then.
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or problems, I'd be happy to help!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #43
Chief Eating Officer

I don't think the direct importing will work for me because I use Firefox and that is not a supported browser, but the text clipping works so well that it is OK that direct is not an option right now.

I love how it is set up like iTunes and you can do smart folders (like smart playlists in iTunes). I have a smart folder for recipes that I have not made yet and it updates automatically so any time I enter a recipe I have not made I will indicate that and it will automatically end up in that list. Then when I am looking to make something new i just have to look in that one folder.

I have a lot to learn about it. There seems to be a ton you can do and I have just scratched the surface. I do have the additional nutritional plug in, but have not used it yet. I will have to look at that next.

I love that it hooks up to my iPhone. I just hope they get that app working better, because right now it works sometimes and not other times.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #44
Senior Cook

Oh yes, I forgot! That was what prompted me to make the switch to Safari. You're right, though, clipping is pretty easy on its own!
I also love the iPhone synching. It's so useful to grocery shop with all of your recipes at your fingertips! You see X is on sale and want to make Y, but can't remember everything else you need for the recipe. Open up the app, and voilà!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Ya know I didn't even think that when I want to put a recipe I can just open Safari and do it then go back to FF. Now it will be even easier
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Totally! That's what I did at first, but I eventually made the switch. I download a lot of recipes, though - 2/3 or so of the recipes in my database are ones I haven't made yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I usually print out recipes, and store then in folder. It's more easy when I want to find recipes, just open the folder.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #48
Master Chef

Apart from my ever-burdgeoning library of cookbooks (geez - could be up to 1,000 by now) & my collection of food magazines (Saveur, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Eating Well, etc., etc.), I save online recipes into my "Food" document file, which is segregated, micro-segregated, & copied according to food type, ethnic type, etc., etc.

As I get around to making the online ones, obviously anything that doesn't come up to snuff, is just "eh", or that I don't think I can improve on, simply gets deleted.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Has anyone used Big Oven web site or their software? Saw an article in the paper today about it, looked at their site, not certain that I want to purchase their software without some first hand information.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Has anyone used Big Oven web site or their software? Saw an article in the paper today about it, looked at their site, not certain that I want to purchase their software without some first hand information.
Elf:

I own a software package specifically for recipes called AccuChef. I love it, to put it mildly. Although I am a Mac person, I have this software which I use on a small laptop made by Toshiba. I cannot even imagine how many recipes I have in it, and I'm only now thinking, that I'm a recipe "collector" and I have to stop adding so many new recipes to it. You can copy from most websites and you'll have to learn some easy codes to transfer your chosen recipe to the database. It is ultimately flexible but unfortunately Mac has nothing to compare with it. I've looked into it believe me. I did look at the Big Oven site and think AccuChef surpasses it.

You can subscribe for a trial membership, then purchase it later, which is what I did. Since I'm still not allowed to enter URL's here, I'd suggest you just google AccuChef. Ggive it a whirl, then please let me know how you like it; whenever. It even has a spell checker to double check things you add in manually. Adding manually is no problem, I have some family recipes that I've entered because I couldn't sustain some of the hand written recipes I've had for years.

Good luck, CHEERS!
Pennsy! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

pennsy is offline   Reply With Quote