"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

P.S. for Elf:

I have had this database forever. I also believe I looked at the MacGourmet someone else was talking about. Unfortunately, transfer from the PC to another MAC laptop, (which I've desired for some time) is not a sure thing. Imagine hand inserting (minus the codes) about two thousand plus recipes argh. All options regarding this issue have been looked at by me and DH who is a computer geek. Therefore, I've stayed with AccuChef. If the Toshiba tanks, HEAVEN forbid, I'm in deep yogurt. How are things in the Annapolis area, we lived in Rockville, MD area many years.

Cheers pennsy!

pennsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #52
Sous Chef

I have an old fashioned recipe box that has the normal categories in it that I got in the late 70's. I love the hand written part of it. I can see how my culinary knowledge has changed over the years from a canned soup and crackers person to a real chef. The lingo and the ways I measure have changed. I lost my moms recipe box when she died and still kick myself over that as it had hand written stuff from her and my grandmother, that I had never met, as well has my aunt that I had never met.
Of course I have recipes saved in my computer and in notebooks all over the house but, the ones that mean the most are handwritten. I find in old books or other odd places recipes that mom had jotted down every now and then and it's like a treasure.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Maybe because I'm older and I've been a computer person for more than 30 years, but I'm convinced that simplicity is best for me. I've seen FAR too many electronic disasters when it comes to keeping data safe! (Fire, Lightning, data corruption, poor magnetic media manufacturing, Drive hardware failure, accidental data erasure, internet interruptions of service, businesses that fold overnight with no warning or ability to retrieve data without a court order.) This was all very upsetting to a trucking company that relied on invoice and insurance claim data to stay in business. In the end, we simply backed up onto removable media and stored it in a vault.

For me, I copy the recipe into MS Wordpad and then save it into a recipes folder (with appropriate subfolders.) My recipes folder, along with other weekly accrued data, is automatically mirrored onto an external backup drive.

I will also print out the recipe and insert it into a protective sleeve and then a notebook binder I keep with my other cookbooks. More often than not, I work from the printed recipe and sometimes add handwritten notes.

Trusting ANY data to an online service is tenuous at best.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #54
Master Chef

I agree with Selkie, & I still don't understand the necessity of specialty "recipe software".

I've got everything in highly segregated "Word" documents, & I LOVE it. All I have to do is type in a search for a specific ingredient - "arugula" for example - & within a minute every single recipe I've saved that has it shows up. It's fabulous, easy, & best of all - FREE!!

And - as Selkie does - I print out recipes as I use them, & those that "make the grade" get plastic-sleeved into a ring-binder to keep in the kitchen.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I still don't understand the necessity of specialty "recipe software".

I've got everything in highly segregated "Word" documents, & I LOVE it. All I have to do is type in a search for a specific ingredient - "arugula" for example - & within a minute every single recipe I've saved that has it shows up. It's fabulous, easy, & best of all - FREE!!
Here, Here!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I do this as well.

The recipe software gives you some formatting options, nutritional information, etc.

I have had Master Cook for years and only use it to calculate nutritional information such as calories and carbs.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #57
Sous Chef

I like a USB or flash/thumb drive to back up data so that it doesn't get lost. Seems better than just leaving it to the fates on the computer.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I do this as well.

The recipe software gives you some formatting options, nutritional information, etc.

I have had Master Cook for years and only use it to calculate nutritional information such as calories and carbs.
But you know what? If I come across a recipe here on DC or online or in the newspaper that looks inviting & that I want to try, I don't give a rat's patootie about the "nutritional content/carbs/etc.". I mean, really. I'm gonna try it, & if I like it, I'm gonna save it & make it again, regardless of the "nutritional content/carbs/etc.".
Old 08-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Quote:
It's not a necessity, strictly speaking - I think I *might* be able to live without it. Maybe. But I do think it has its advantages. Namely:
1) Automatic nutritional calculations
2) Synchs with my iPhone so I have all of my recipes with me at all times
3) Direct import of recipes from many of the common recipes sites - I hit two keys on my keyboard and *poof*, the recipe in its entirety, including its photo, is in my software
4) Instant, automatic ingredient scaling (no typos!)

There are others, but these pack a lot of punch for me. Everybody has their preferences.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #60
Chief Eating Officer

Breezy, I used to do it your way too and I have no issue with it at all. It is a very efficient method and works very well. The MacGourmet program that apple tart turned me onto is fantastic though. You can organize your recipes in ways you have never thought of. Want to quickly see all recipes that have chicken, rice, and chipotles? Simple, just set up the software to show that. no searching needed. No looking through thousands of recipes reading ingredient lists. Not only that, but you can save the search so as you add new recipes that fit that criteria they automatically are shown in that search without you having to do anything. That is just one of thousands (literally endless) types of ways you can sort and organize the info.

Another cool feature is that you can set it up for laptop mode (I forget the actual term they use) which lets you pull up the recipe on the laptop and put the laptop in reading distance, but far enough away from where you are cooking so there is no chance of food spilling or splattering on your computer. The font size is turned very large and only the info you need for cooking is shown (no nutritional info or suggestions of other dishes to go along with the dish or other things like that). It is a really smart feature.

Nothing wrong with using Word, but some of the programs do have very useful features that you simply can not get with Word.