"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior Cook

magazines in general I save....
but I am trying to reform (as I don't have the room) and am going through them and tearing out the pages that I want to keep, including recipes. The mags I will bring to the library as they have a table for "freebie" magazines. I pick up a lot of mine there too! plus thrift stores.
still have some mags that I will save in whole....

Now I have to find some way to store the pages besides throwing in a box... the organized side of me says 3-hole binder in plastic sleeves, but the frugal side of me says watch the cost-those plastic sleeves can add up.
so, for now, they're in boxes

Old 10-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I like the idea of donating them to the library.....good for you Kathy!

Old 10-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks! the downside to that is I probably take more than I donate vicious cycle.....
the library used to put out their older mags, but haven't seen any lately - I'll have to ask. gourmet, bon appetit. whole years worth. I think they keep 5 or 6 years on the shelf, then get rid of the oldest.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I don't subscribe to any cooking magazines presently, but when I did, I often bought the annual hardcover editions and then threw out the mags. Otherwise, my magazine philosophy in general is to keep just the recent year's worth. Maybe if I didn't collect cookbooks with such abandon, I would keep more mags around.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loprraine
I still have all of mine, going back to the 70's, and some old Gourmet from the 50's and 60's. ( I bought those in a second hand store ). I've had to move a lot of them to the basement to make room for new cookbooks, but every once in awhile, I drag up a stack and read them. I still use many of the recipes in them. I never could bring myself to tear a recipe out and throw the magazine away.
I would love to just look at the advertisements from those magazines. That was what prompted me to purchase the magazines from the 1890s! The ads are so unusual!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
A couple of years, at least. Same with the brewing mags.

We've got stacks of them with recipes that we want to try, but never remember to.

I think the oldest recipes in the house are in a small bartenders recipe book I have, it dates from just after the repeal of prohibition. (Yes, they are most all for drinks).

John
How did you come by that book??
Old 10-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
I don't subscribe to any cooking magazines presently, but when I did, I often bought the annual hardcover editions and then threw out the mags. Otherwise, my magazine philosophy in general is to keep just the recent year's worth. Maybe if I didn't collect cookbooks with such abandon, I would keep more mags around.
At some point in my life, my living space will be inundated with cooking/reading material and I'll be confined to a small corner....