"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #91
Sous Chef

Claire, Super idea. I have many cookbooks. I recently started 5 three ring binders with categories. Main Meals Cake Cookies etc. I collect and collect favorites from friends and famlies. Where is that recipe? Saving them on the computer will help locate them. Thanks again. I think I may store my very very favorites. Collecting is fun.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #92
Senior Cook

Claire -- good idea about the large print, I am forever
putting my glasses down. Don't have to wear them all
the time, just when I want to read something! he he

Old 01-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #93
Assistant Cook

My first post here.
I have over 1000 cookbooks and counting. I haven't counted them lately, so not entirely sure exactly how many I have. It's a wonderful addiction.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #94
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan02
My first post here.
I have over 1000 cookbooks and counting. I haven't counted them lately, so not entirely sure exactly how many I have. It's a wonderful addiction.
WOW, will you adopt me??

I agree on the addiction part....
Old 01-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #95
Assistant Cook

I have a few

I have about 30 books, I have recently gotten more into ebook recipe books. It seems to make it easier to navigate and less bulk. I have 2 cupboards full of cook books and it seems to be a pain to pull one out of the bottom just for one thing. I buy whatever recipe ebook I can.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 AM   #96
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgan10
I have about 30 books, I have recently gotten more into ebook recipe books. It seems to make it easier to navigate and less bulk. I have 2 cupboards full of cook books and it seems to be a pain to pull one out of the bottom just for one thing. I buy whatever recipe ebook I can.
Well, I don't buy cookbooks just for recipes. I am one of those folks that loves them for their recipes, but also for the pleasure they give me while I am reading them. An ecookbook doesn't do that for me.
Oftentimes, I will sit down with a cookbook and read it from beginning to end, almost like a novel. I may never make anything from that particular book, but it gives me so much pleasure in other ways, such as seeing how others eat, and cook.
I doubt I will ever stop collecting. I haven't been able to buy any for a few months, and I now have a long and growing list of those that I want to get.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #97
Cook

Iprobably have about 1 dozen to 2 dozen, at the most. I am not a pak rat, so if it doesn't have lots of things I can use...I chuck it (I usualy donate to the local library)

I have vegeterian books, for my daughter is one, but I want her to know that is we will not leave her needs unattended. In fact, she gets to rummage through some of the books and find a new recipe now and again.

I also like magazine articles with simple recipes, for the mere fact that...I am a home schooling mom and belong to a local suport group. Guess what I teach? You guessed it, Cooking. I am fondly referred to as "The Cooking Lady" I even asked my students one time, "How many of you know my name?" And the response was (Please remember these are 5-9 year olds) "THE COOKING LADY!

So I am always on the prowl for recipes that I can make in under an hour and still teach them something.

Sorry, I got waaaay off track. But for someone who loves to cook, I have few cookbooks!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #98
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Too many and don't even use them anymore, I use either the web. or my recipe file box for my favorites.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #99
Cook

I have a very bad habit.... I adore uber-cookbooks.

At the moment I've only got a few, one being "The Cooks Book", along with the Italian classic "The Silver Spoon" (The recently translated on, by Phiadon). I also have one of "1000 Indian Recipes". Once I'm no longer a poor student I'm going to find a copy of Larrouse Gastronomie and Escoffier. I'd also love a copy of Mrs. Beatons.

I buy too many cooking magazines as well, at least three a month. I can no longer remember what's in them all, or where my favourite recipies are.

So, I've started to keep a list of the recipies I want to try and their location. Just names at the moment, although I should really apply categories.

I also copy recipies I like into a Word document, so I don't have to keep the magazines to hand. I'm thinking of making some sort of database to store my collection in.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #100
Sous Chef

Quadlex - I have an even worse habit. I get Ideas from cookbooks (or from magazines). I do own several, but I'd have to admit that I rarely even open them. The thing my spouse actually complains about on a regular basis (been married for almost 25 years), is that I don't write down the meals I put together. If she "loves" something I made, I can never totally reproduce. As I was growing up, I started to learn to cook for myself at 8 yrs of age since no one that cared about me was around for many of my home meals (single mom worked 18 hour days, at the two sisters spent more time out an about or torturing me ;-)) Anyway, I never got in the habit of writing down what I use, or in what amount. Once I make something I like I remember 95% of the ingredients I used the next time I make it, then improvise on taste (and sometimes ingredients based on what was the freshest ingredients the last time I shopped. Makes the spouse sometimes unhappy, but since she can make only a couple of things well, she knows not to complain too much. ;-) Sorry I got so *way* off topic. The cook book I found the most use of was a copy of "The Joy of Cooking". This cook book has the "most" information hints and tips of any cook book I've ever opened on the widest verity of topics. It truly is a good learning from cook book. Now if I could just get in the habit of writing down what I did cook wise :-) The Easter dinner I made recently, was excellent... A rib roast done medium rare, and no spice adjustments needed with all the normal sides (garlic mashed taters, bacon green beans, mixed green salad with a ton of fresh veggies, and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing, or the red wine vinaigrette I made (or the bottled Ranch which I seam to buy as I never personally use;-)). I also had oven fresh rolls w/ butter, and Key Lime pie for dessert. I even made a chicken stir fry for the non-beef eaters that everyone liked. The sad thing is I could not make a TNT recipe for any of the items that wouldn't be guessing since I don't write anything down. The good thing was that I only spent time cooking from 3:30pm ~ 6pm when the guests started to arrive, and the meat needed to rest ;-) Wow, that was almost a blog rather then a posted reply... The second Brandy I had since being home must have made me do it. Casper