How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have literally hundreds. I also have about 10-15 recipe boxes, as well as a rubbermaid filing case that I've been using to file all of my mother-in-law's clippings. I also have significant collections of Southern Living, Coastal Living, BH&G, Cooks Illustrated and Cooking Light, as well as other random magazines I've picked up.

Last edited:
I'm addicted to buying the old cookbook/leaflets from the 1950s--I'll go to the used library book sales and buy stacks of fun ones for 50 cents each. I noticed cookbooks are one of the first things to go at these sales! I really need a three-ring binder for all the recipes I print off the Internet.

Addicted To Food Books

Well, the subject of a cookbook tally sent me a-counting, and to be honest - I know I have well over 1,000 books on food. I have bookcases in the kitchen, dining room and family room, plus shelving in our garage that is lined with books on food & cooking: vintage and modern, nutrition, diets, health, lo-fat, no-fat, ethnic foods, you name it! A real library on food. I have finally been able to control my hoarding instinct and stopped the insanity (ran out of room). But I must say that after all my extensive reading about food and nutrition, ie. Food Politics by Marion Nestle, and Fast Food Nation, and many other very informative reads, I have become a vegetarian (4 years now). I've considered selling off some of them, but I am attached to each and every one of them in some strange way, and I justify keeping them because I still love to cook lots of different things for company.

Last edited:
My latest cook book

I have lots of recipes in my mind and love to make new recipes. I have got many recipe books and the latest book I got was Cook Book With Secret Restaurant Recipes. And the best thing was, with that book I got 7 more free cook books. ;)
It looks interesting so just wanted to share with you all.

I don't want to count but the ones that are on the shelves are 24 lineir feet of books.

I don't count the ones in the pile by my nightstand. Has any one else had their spouse call them a pervert for reading a book on sausage making in bed?

Well this got me curious and so I counted a couple represenitive shelves and found I appear to have a book an inch so 24*12 is 288 so i guess i own about 300.

I did order two from Amazon yesterday

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"Professional Charcuterie: Sausage Making, Curing, Terrines, and Pâtés"
John Kinsella;[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"CHARCUTERIE AND FRENCH PORK COOKERY"
Jane Grigson;[/SIZE][/FONT]

I intend to get Chad Ward's Knife book "An Edge in the Kitchen" this week.

Last edited:
I have at least 12 more than I had the last time I responded to this thread!

My newest one is "Fish Without a Doubt" by Rick Moonen and Roy Finamore. Rick is a fabulous fish chef for many years in New York and now in Vegas. But he wrote this book as a home cook, creating his recipes in an apartment kitchen in New York. He gives so many tips and ideas for shopping, storing, cooking fish that you'll never be afraid of it again. :)

and no, noone paid me to say anything. It's just a great resource if you want to get into cooking fish more confidently. That's what the name's all about.

My cookbook collection

:chef: I now have 57 cookbooks in my collection. I'd buy more if only I could afford them.:chef:

Well. I've probably added a few hundred (or more) in the last year.... darn those thrift stores! I too can't afford to buy new books.

I get most of mine at:
the thrift stores and library book sales (love getting books for $1 or less)
www.paperbackswap.com (I'm KathyJ on there also)
and I just joined The Good Cook club online (to get the newer ones)

Don't you love Library Thing?!!!
I wish I had the time to do all of my books. Maybe if and when I move, I'll unpack a box at a time and post them all then. I have a good portion of my cookbooks on there, but not all of them. Maybe half? maybe. or less than half.
I'm farmgirl-kat on there...

Back
Top Bottom