"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #141
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
I have over 1000, and many of them are ones where I know exactly what page the particular favorite recipe is on. I just love to read cookbooks though. Some of my favorites are the ones from the churches I've been in, where "Gramma Snyder" has her oatmeal cookie, or "Mrs. Olsen" has her family Kringle recipe there. Then there are the ethnic cookbooks from the 20's and 30's that were put out by settlement houses that are so much fun to peruse. Three of my children have already put their dibs on certain of the cookbooks on my shelves. I've been able to find copies of some of our favorites at used book stores or on line, though I won't pay $70 for one. The hunt for a garage sale bargain is too hard to resist. But my cookbooks don't even come near to how many music books I have!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 AM   #142
Executive Chef

I recently bought a used cookbook written by Justin Wilson. Remember him? I garrontee it!!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 AM   #143
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Oh my gosh Corey I haven't heard that guy in YEARS!!
I always liked
1 cup a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
2 cup a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.....
and so on!

I have about 25? With the dawn of internet though I haven't bought many. It's much easier to find something online, or find 4 of the same recipe and make your own from them.
Now if you ask how many homemade cookbooks I have, made of printed off recipes.....
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #144
Executive Chef

He once had his own cooking show on PBS. Wonder if he's still alive. He was a Southern cook from Kentucky, I believe.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #145
Assistant Cook

I think I'm too young to remember Justin Wilson...

I probably have about 25 cookbooks, not including all the little booklets that come with appliances. Most of them are books I inherited or things my boyfriend had before we moved in together--I've only acquired three or four since I started cooking regularly. My favorite, although mainly for the nostalgia value, is the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was a wedding gift to my parents from my grandparents. Some pages are missing and in odd places, but I still use some of the recipes.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:24 PM   #146
Senior Cook

I loved Justin. Actually he was from Louisiana and prided his Cajun roots. He was also a very funny storyteller and made a couple of records telling tales about duck hunting. He died in 2001.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

justin wilson was great! he's the first person that i ever saw fry a turkey.

i just got this year's free cookbook from costco. it's much better than previous years. it's not just "how to reheat our packaged foods" type of book. it has actual recipes using ingredients, not all prepared stuff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #148
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarol1 View Post
I loved Justin. Actually he was from Louisiana and prided his Cajun roots. He was also a very funny storyteller and made a couple of records telling tales about duck hunting. He died in 2001.

Oh, so sad, we lost another great one!!

I had hoped that he was still alive. He WILL be missed. He and Julia Child were two of the great ones.

I used to wath him cook his authentic Cajiun-style meals every Saturday afternoon.

Yeah, long before celebrity chefs Emeril Lagasse, Bobby Flay, Raechal Ray and Paula Deen and Giada Delurentiis became famous, Justin and Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) were among the ones to watch.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #149
Senior Cook

jeff smith too

Yes, I loved Jeff. I refer to his ethnic recipes quite often for authentic fun things to cook.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #150
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Is Jeff Smith still alive? I know he had some legal problems...