"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:49 PM   #21
Master Chef

I have almost seventy cookbooks, but the one that means the most to me was my great great aunts'. It is a West Bend Cooking Magic cookbook from 1955. She was a great cook. Dinner typically consisted of ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, lima beans, biscuits, etc. She made the best peach cobbler for dessert.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #22

I bet i have close to it Sierra, or probably even more.. I don't know how many, exactly.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #23
Moved on

I have 125 cookbooks, most of which are very old and inherited from my parents. I purchased maybe 30 of these.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have around 400. My MIL has close to 3,000. They are EVERYWHERE in her house. LOL I mean EVERYWHERE - under the coffee table, on top of the coffee table, stacked beside the coffee table, on top of anything that will hold them in the kitchen, on top of spare chairs in the kitchen, over the washer and dryer, stacked in every corner of her house, stacked on Grandma's dresser to the point of falling over , under every bed in the house, I could go on.....

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #25
Cook

Rainee-266! You've got me beat! I have never met anyone else(other than my sisters) who collect food books and cookbooks! I have in the neighborhood of 150-200 including the ones I can't pass up in the supermarket checkout! Also several copypaper boxes of cooking magazines. I recently was given some vintage('50's) Gourmet mags. I just love them. i too have several folders of cut outs plus the internet!

My favorite are my first edition Better Homes, a church cookbook from Bethabra Moravian Church in North Carolina, and the Settlement Cookbook also a first edition. What are some of your favorites?

I also love books about food, food history, bios of cooks/food writers. Have any of you read Kitchen Confidential or Tender at the Bone?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Kitchen Confidential is hilarious. Also recently finished Jacques Pepin's autobiography, but it's upstairs and I'm too lazy to go check the title.

You guys are making me soooooooo relieved at the number of cookbooks I have. Mere amateur here. Military history/history is another story.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #27
Cook

Kitchen Condf was funny and if you have ever worked in the Restaurant business you find most of it rings true, just change the names! Is it true Jauques P. worked at an iHop when he first came to the states?
Old 09-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo
Kitchen Condf was funny and if you have ever worked in the Restaurant business you find most of it rings true, just change the names! Is it true Jauques P. worked at an iHop when he first came to the states?
yes indeedy, he worked there many years. strange but true.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #29
Executive Chef

The 266 is in books and I probably missed a few, thats not counting the ones from the Internet, newspaper, friends or recipe cards.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I have around 400. My MIL has close to 3,000. They are EVERYWHERE in her house. LOL I mean EVERYWHERE.....
Elf, please DO advise when the MIL is having her ultimate garage sale, hum????